Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a 190 tire will fit on a 919 ... I understand the performance issues just want to know if anyone has put one on or if anyone knows for FACT that the swingarm wont be an issue. Any help would be great ......THANKS:patriot:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the reply... I went ahead and tried it out it ..of course did work. Let me ask what else have you done to your 919??
nothing yet, it's just got a Kerker can on it. It doesn't need anything else. I know it will go up to 230 km/h in the country on straight flat roads, it will layover farther than I will probably take it :eek: It's a great bike. my opinion might change in a year but for now, she's good to go :thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey guys I know this is an old thread but what is the benefit of going to the 190? Were you guys able to fit it on your same rim? Does it handle better than the 180? I have contemplated changing to a 190 because I like the way my friends z1000 handles with a 120 front and 190 rear......

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
hey guys I know this is an old thread but what is the benefit of going to the 190? Were you guys able to fit it on your same rim? Does it handle better than the 180? I have contemplated changing to a 190 because I like the way my friends z1000 handles with a 120 front and 190 rear......

The Z1000 has a 6" wheel though doesn't it?
In which case the profile would be quite different with the same tyre.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I think the z has a 190 50 17 I went ahead and ordered 190 55 17 we will find out Wednesday if it will be.

A 190/55 on a 5.5" wheel is probably not going to feel very similar to a 190/50 on a 6" wheel :)

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
It definitely wont. And unless you completely set the bike up for a 190 tire, it i going to handle poorly
It's not that black and white. How the bike steers and handles comes down to personal preference so he may well prefer the feel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So let me see if I got this straight. The 190 refers to how much contact surface the tire has or is it the height of the tire from the rim to the pad. the 55 refers to rim with (so 5.5 inches)? and the 17 obviously refers to rim size?

We do know it will fit since the op here said that he mounted one and one of the responders says he thinks he could fit a larger tire....

What would I need to change on the bike to go 190 that you are referring to? I know the suspension is adjustable but if i install a 190 tire the only thing I could think to change would be the front tire.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
So let me see if I got this straight. The 190 refers to how much contact surface the tire has or is it the height of the tire from the rim to the pad. the 55 refers to rim with (so 5.5 inches)? and the 17 obviously refers to rim size?

We do know it will fit since the op here said that he mounted one and one of the responders says he thinks he could fit a larger tire....

What would I need to change on the bike to go 190 that you are referring to? I know the suspension is adjustable but if i install a 190 tire the only thing I could think to change would be the front tire.
190 is the nominal width from edge to edge, not around the curve.
50 or 55 refers to the profile or height of the tyre from the bead as a percentage of its width, 50% or 55% of 190mm.
17" is the diameter of the wheel around the rim.
You may not need to or want to change anything depending on how it feels to you. There is no hard rule that says you must change something else because you change the tyre profile.

·
Registered
59 Posts
190 is the nominal width from edge to edge, not around the curve.
50 or 55 refers to the profile or height of the tyre from the bead as a percentage of its width, 50% or 55% of 190mm.
17" is the diameter of the wheel around the rim.
You may not need to or what to change anything depending on how it feels to you. There is no hard rule that says you must change something else because you change the tyre profile.
I wanted to try out a190 so I will let ya'll know how it handles. My only concern is turning with a 190 will I be looking at less control or traction on steep turns or is that also subjective?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to try out a190 so I will let ya'll know how it handles. My only concern is turning with a 190 will I be looking at less control or traction on steep turns or is that also subjective?
I have a 190 on my 919 with no other changes done yet. I think it actually grips better. Possible the tire as well tho. I got the Power Pilot 2CT on both the front and the rear.

A friend of mine who also has a 919 thinks mine handles better on the corners as well compared to his stock tires on a 2007 919.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 190 on my 919 with no other changes done yet. I think it actually grips better. Possible the tire as well tho. I got the Power Pilot 2CT on both the front and the rear.

A friend of mine who also has a 919 thinks mine handles better on the corners as well compared to his stock tires on a 2007 919.
Yep pilot powers are one of the best tires I have tried. Currently I have a pilot road and a Dunlop in the rear. I have never been happy with dunlops on any of my bikes and I wanted a matched set.

I got the 2ct pilot matched set for 250 new so that's why I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 190 swap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok the 190 is on the rear. My bike came from the po with a pilot road in the front and a dunlop in the rear. I definitely feel slot better grip on the ground than before but that could be because I am running a matched set of tires that are alot grippier than my old ones.

I still haven't rode the whole tire yet because they are brand new and I am breaking them in but for the most part I am not noticing and negative handling differences

·
Registered
59 Posts
I pulled the dunlop that came off my rear to take pics to sell online because the old tires have plenty of tread left on them. Turns out the rear tire the po put on it was a 190 50 17. So that might explain why I didn't notice a huge difference in cornering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.