Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to stick a 180 tire on the 6" rim of the 954? I have a feeling in order to do this I would actually have to switch over to a 5.5" rim, just wanted to confirm it. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I am pretty sure the answer is no, but is it possible to stick a 180 tire on the 6" rim of the 954? I have a feeling in order to do this I would actually have to switch over to a 5.5" rim, just wanted to confirm it. :thumb:

Yep, have run through lots of 180's on my 929 and GSXR's with six-inch wheels.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I CAN put a 180 on it!?!?!? Sweet. That will save me a few bucks on rubbers, plus I can't seem to lean the 190's over far enough to get rid of the strips... I went pretty far over the other evening, I know it would've hit edge on a 180, but still missed it on the 190 by about 1/2"....

·
Registered
330 Posts
You need to grow a pair and lean that bitch over! Lol. It's not the tire's fault. 190/50 can be taken to the edge.....believe me, once your peg feelers or your toe sliders hit the pavement, you know you're leaned to the point where you should really start hanging off and dragging a knee :) That being said, some guys prefer to run either 180/55 or 190/55 because the turn in is quicker.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
So I CAN put a 180 on it!?!?!? Sweet. That will save me a few bucks on rubbers, plus I can't seem to lean the 190's over far enough to get rid of the strips... I went pretty far over the other evening, I know it would've hit edge on a 180, but still missed it on the 190 by about 1/2"....
And that's a bad thing ... why? Taking a tyre to the edge means you have nothing left to give, less safety margin.

Remember - chicken strips are a sign of intelligence .... unless you're at the track ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
And that's a bad thing ... why? Taking a tyre to the edge means you have nothing left to give, less safety margin.

Remember - chicken strips are a sign of intelligence .... unless you're at the track ;)
:plus1:
Ive run a 180 before on my cbr1000, no problem. turns in a little faster but you dont have as much room to play with when your getting on the gas. As long as your smooth on the throttle youll be good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You need to grow a pair and lean that bitch over! Lol. It's not the tire's fault. 190/50 can be taken to the edge.....believe me, once your peg feelers or your toe sliders hit the pavement, you know you're leaned to the point where you should really start hanging off and dragging a knee :) That being said, some guys prefer to run either 180/55 or 190/55 because the turn in is quicker.
haha I agree but any hard parts hitting the pavement is a BAD thing. Fix the body position and pull the feelers off the pegs and youll have that thing leaned over in no time.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
190/55 is the best choice. More rubber on the road when you have it on its side.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the chicken strips are long gone now... even on the 190 BT003s. Just had to get a feel for how she handles I guess. I would agree that the wider 190 really does add some room for error. I would get a little tire walk on the 180 on a good lean (probably just about outta rubber), haven't had this problem yet and I know I've had it over about as far as I can go before it does it.

With that said, still have 1/2 inch or so on the front tires that is unused, from my understanding you have to ride very hard to get rid of that, most likely track type riding. Not sure if that is true, but I know she's been over really far and there is still room on the front, I assume that means I have a little more room on the rear as well despite hitting edge to edge!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
LOL, I must be getting more intelligent with age, as the chicken strips are a little wider...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts