Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very educated on motorcycles and how they work, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out without me having to pay hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to tell me what's wrong with it.

This has happened twice now. The lip on the rear wheel that holds the circlip in place has been broken off. It's done this on two wheels so far in the course of a few months. I'd like to find out the cause of this before I install a new wheel and end up having to replace that one, too.

I could not see anything grinding against the wheel or hitting it while I had the bike stationary. It's possible I just had 2 old wheels that just broke from weathering and whatnot.

If anyone has any advice on possible causes of this, I'd greatly appreciate.

Also, if anyone knows of a place I can order a new rear wheel, that would be awesome, too. I'm having a hard time finding it on my own.

I could also use help learning some terminology, so I don't sound like a newbie when I try to talk about my bike.

Thank you! I really need to get this bike back on the road so I can get to my classes!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'm not very educated on motorcycles and how they work, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out without me having to pay hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to tell me what's wrong with it.

This has happened twice now. The lip on the rear wheel that holds the circlip in place has been broken off. It's done this on two wheels so far in the course of a few months. I'd like to find out the cause of this before I install a new wheel and end up having to replace that one, too.

I could not see anything grinding against the wheel or hitting it while I had the bike stationary. It's possible I just had 2 old wheels that just broke from weathering and whatnot.

If anyone has any advice on possible causes of this, I'd greatly appreciate.

Also, if anyone knows of a place I can order a new rear wheel, that would be awesome, too. I'm having a hard time finding it on my own.

I could also use help learning some terminology, so I don't sound like a newbie when I try to talk about my bike.

Thank you! I really need to get this bike back on the road so I can get to my classes!

Belt drive or chain drive?
Is the wheel correctly aligned?
Are the axle spacers on the correct sides of the wheel?
Is the circlip on the right way around - the sharp edge should face outwards.
Is the washer in place behind the circlip?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Belt drive or chain drive?
Is the wheel correctl aligned?
Are the axle spacers on the correct sides of the wheel?
Is the circlip on the right way around - the sharp edge should face outwards.
Is the washer in place behind the circlip?
Chain.
Wheels were aligned and checked before it broke the first time. I'm not sure how easily it can fall out of alignment, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it while riding.
I reassembled the wheel exactly as I had taken it off and double checked it with the diagram in the manual.
I was not aware there was right way around for the circlip.
The washer was in its correct place.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Chain.
Wheels were aligned and checked before it broke the first time. I'm not sure how easily it can fall out of alignment, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it while riding.
I reassembled the wheel exactly as I had taken it off and double checked it with the diagram in the manual.
I was not aware there was right way around for the circlip.
The washer was in its correct place.

I was referring to the alignment of the rear wheel only, if the frame is bent and you align the rear wheel with the front wheel you will be putting side-loading on the chain.
To align the wheel measure from the axle centre to swingarm pivot centre on both side of the bike.
I'm not familiar with the bike so I don't know the purpose of the circlip, but circlips are generally directional with the sharp edge designed to take the lateral force.
Is the cushdrive worn at all?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts