Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1984 Honda 700 Magna help..!

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  FullCircle 
#1 ·
Working on a 1984 700 Magna. Bike will fire and run for about 2 seconds and die. I have completely gone threw the fuel system: drained fuel from upper and lower tanks, cleaned tanks, replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, bench tested fuel pump, removed and completely disassembled carbs, cleaned, blew out passages, re-set float heights to 7.2mm (.283"), re-build kits, tested floats for cracks, sync all four carbs. Re-installed everything. Bike still has the same issue. I have checked for spark and it looks good, but spark plug is wet with fuel. Seems like when engine fires it imedeitaly stops spark/firing. Do these bikes ever have issues with the ignition control units. Any help that would get me in the right direction to fix this problem would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
Working on a 1984 700 Magna. Bike will fire and run for about 2 seconds and die. I have completely gone threw the fuel system: drained fuel from upper and lower tanks, cleaned tanks, replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, bench tested fuel pump, removed and completely disassembled carbs, cleaned, blew out passages, re-set float heights to 7.2mm (.283"), re-build kits, tested floats for cracks, sync all four carbs. Re-installed everything. Bike still has the same issue. I have checked for spark and it looks good, but spark plug is wet with fuel. Seems like when engine fires it imediately stops spark/firing. Do these bikes ever have issues with the ignition control units. Any help that would get me in the right direction to fix this problem would be great. Thanks

Will it continue to run while you spray starter fluid into the intake?
If you clip a timing light on each plug lead you will be able to see if the coil is firing.
When you re-set the float levels were they very far out of spec?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.