Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· President: Team Full Chat
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Cleaned it out and all looks good.

Except for the lever. Look at how the brass bushing wears in the lever, and how the removable bushing wore too. Love these old bikes.

The top pic is the top side of the lever, and the bottom is the underneath. You can see the wear in the bushing on the top side, but looks normal in the bottom. Also, check out the lip on the removable bushing. Small parts that make the difference from a half ass repair, to a professional repair. All new parts are on the way.

Auto part Hardware accessory Metal

Auto part

Auto part Engine

8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
When you look at the OEM lever with the brass insert you realise how much engineering detail there is. Why on earth would you swap a beautiful component like that for a piece of two bob Chinese tat?
Exactly right Gunk. You roll the dice whether or not the Chinese stuff is even semi-decent, but they will likely never have the pressed in brass bushing. I should have the OEM lever tomorrow and an update here.

8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Got the new parts in and what a difference. The old lever would shake, rattle and roll installed in the master. Now it is nice and solid, no movement and works great.

The old part that went between the lever and the plunger on the master had what I thought was an o-ring on it (see pic), and the new on didn’t. So I swapped the old one over, but then came to find out that the groove it was in was actually for the new boot that I installed. The old one had rotted itself off the boot, and made it look like an o-ring :rotfl:

Anyway, spent a lot of time wiping down the final drive cover, and frame in hopes that I can get the carbs back in this week. Gonna be cold and wet (what’s new) around here though :crying

I also replaced the broken (missing top piece) part of the vent for the top of the final drive, and uncovered a painted over factory sticker that was on the swing arm.

Getting there.

Auto part Lever Pipe

Auto part Brake Fuel line Vehicle brake Engine

Auto part Vehicle

Auto part Wheel Rim Tire Disc brake

Tire Material property Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Got some more work done. Noticed that ALL the cables and clutch/brake lines were routed wrong by the PO, definitely had the forks off at some point before me, the throttle cables were twisted and on wrong, the choke cable was routed on the wrong side of the frame, and the switch pod harnesses were were misrouted too. Fixed all that, and am now waiting on some refurbed OEM turn signals to arrive.

Also found that the throttle tube was damaged and repaired badly, and a contact from the kill switch was disconnected. Will be fixing all that as well.

Pulled the headlight out of the housing and found an abandoned home that must have foreclosed :wink scared me actually when bits dropped out, you never know if they have squatters living there :grin

And the tires are in, so that should get done today, which if so, there will be SIGNIFIGANT progress this week towards the first fire up :thumb:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Engine

Auto part Suspension part Suspension Vehicle Engine

Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Engine

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

Rock Artifact Mineral

8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Coming to the final stretch on this one. Got the wheels on, the electronics are fixed, throttle tube and OEM grips installed, bars are placed, airbox, rear inner fender, tail section, tail light all on, and waiting for some OE turn signal stalks (his original ones were knackered beyond repair), and it should be ready for a test fire by early next week. Oh, and while cleaning the old hornets home out of the headlight I unplugged and inspected the wires and found a chewed turn signal wire. Go figure lol

Also, when preparing the rear wheel for install I noticed this o-ring was broken. LUCKILY, I had a kit I got from Harbor Frieght for just pennies, but wouldn’t you know it it had a proper size for it. Jackpot!

Auto part Wheel Spoke Automotive wheel system Tire

Auto part Carburetor

Tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part

Hand Auto part

Pics on following post too

· Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Exactly right Gunk. You roll the dice whether or not the Chinese stuff is even semi-decent, but they will likely never have the pressed in brass bushing. I should have the OEM lever tomorrow and an update here.
Had a rummage through my parts stash yesterday and couldn't believe that after paying £15 for a tatty used clutch lever off fleabay, I had a brand new OEM Honda lever still in it's sealed package. Doh :banghead:

8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So after having it since October and some busted knuckles, the Sierra Charlie is completed.

It wasn’t easy at times, as things that got touched after years of neglect turned out to be worse off than expected. None more so than the oil drain plug, that after I removed it to drain the oil a host of threads came with it. And with that came a Time Sert kit that cost a fortune, but did the job. For those who don’t know, a Time-Sert is a steel threaded liner that gets installed in place of the threads. It’s stronger, and more reliable than a Helicoil. My install did not go perfectly either, as I had to do it on my back, lying down, 1/2 on the lift, with a ratchet. It went in just slightly off Center, which I then had to correct by filing down the plug washer mating surface. After a few test installs, no leaks and proper torque attained on the bolt. Thanks the bike Gods for that! Bike starts 1 push on a warm day with full choke, and settles down to a nice idle after a few minutes. It goes, shifts, turns and stops. All the OE lighting works, and the original signals were welcomed back thanks to eBay. I’ll miss my time with the SC, but my buddy just told me today it’s registered, insured, and ready to go back home with him.
Job done.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Heat Glass Machine

Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system

Auto part

Auto part

Auto part

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.