Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1985 Honda Shadow Fuel Pump Problem

29K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Steffen 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knew about fuel pumps on honda shadow motorcycles. I have replaced the world. i have replaced the sub fuel take and all of the filters. i also put in a new fuel pump and relay. the problem is that the fuel pump is not working. i think it is a problem with the electiricty going to the fuel pump. the bike will turn over but not start and no fuel comes out. Brand new battery as well

bike is a 1985 honda shadow vt700c

#3 ·
I have 85 shadow vt1100 , I am not sure the wiring is the same on 750, but here it is, The fuel pump relay turns off the fuel pump when the engine is not runing, let do some trouble shooting , disconnet the fuel pump wire from the harness and connect the fuel pump directly to the battery, on my bike green wire is the ground and Black/blue is positive. The pump should come on if the carb is empty the pump would click for awhile then stops. Now you should be able to start your bike if fuel was the problem. If you have changed the fuel pump relay the problem is with the relay is not getting pulses from the ignition unit which is the middle wire of the relay. See you can start your bike first then reconnect the fuel pump to the harness see how things goes. If the carb is empty pulses from the ignition is not enough to run the pump and start the bike. please note the pump while the bike is runing click only every few seconds the replace the used fuel. let me know if I can help more

#6 ·
Caledan what is the problem with your bike ?, have you read my post? more often there is nothing wrong with the relay, if the bike does not start it is because there is not any fuel in the carb , this could happen if the bike was not started for few months.

#7 ·
Bike still at shop. Shop tested old pump on another bike identical to mine, his bike wouldn't start with my old pump then they put my new pump on his and his started. They tried his pump on my bike & it wouldn't start then they put my new pump back on & the bike still won't start.
I am having hard time finding the fuel relay switch. I have seen a few for newer models - Sabre 1100 & Spirit 1100. Are the switches compatible?

#8 ·
i was wondering if anyone knew about fuel pumps on honda shadow motorcycles. I have replaced the world. i have replaced the sub fuel take and all of the filters. i also put in a new fuel pump and relay. the problem is that the fuel pump is not working. i think it is a problem with the electiricty going to the fuel pump. the bike will turn over but not start and no fuel comes out. Brand new battery as well

bike is a 1985 honda shadow vt700c
You have a fuse on the positive line going to the fuel pump.. it’s blown.. it’s a old school tube like fuse.... replace it. Follow the blue wire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.