Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just bought a 1989 cbr 600. Its currently not running how ever if i poor a little gas into the throttle bodys itll start for like 3 seconds so i kjnow itll run, the fuel pump was dead so i just bought a new one an im waiting for it to come in, i have a few questings, whats the fuel pressure supposed to be if anyone knows, the oil needs to be changed an i cant fine the spot to poor the oil in or the drain plug, also i noticed when i was trying to start it i had it in gear while sqeezing the clutch when i went to start it the bike would shake as if it wanted to move foward like the clutch wasnt fully disengaging. any ideas?

·
Registered
342 Posts
first off, that bike is carburated, no throttle bodies. so if its running off fuel being poured into the mouth of the carb then dying, then your carbs are clogged and need to be cleaned.
second, the fuel pump is not supposed to put out much pressure, just enough to make to suppliment the pressure the tank woud provide if it was above the carbs and gravity fed

the oil plug should be on the clutch cover, close to the top of it.

as for the clutch. when in the lever thorw does the clutch engage/disengage? if that point is real close the the handlebar it could just be out of adjustment and just not have enough throw to fully pull it in. if thats not the case, then i would pull the clutch cover off and inspect the clutch and mechinism. there are a handful of things that would cause the clutch to "stick" but the most common is it just being out of adjustment so i would start there

·
Registered
342 Posts
well when i poor gass into the carbs i only put mike maybe a shots worth in each one an itll run for like 3 to 5 seconds, an do only carb bikes use the gravity feef
so, that tells me the problem is its not getting fuel. your carburators probably need a good cleaning. it wouldent hurt to check your fuel pump while your at it.

1. pull the fuel like from the carbs and turn on the bike(make sure the kill switch is set to run) . the pump should push fuel out the line, just make sure you have something to catch the fuel.

2. if the pump works then your problem is in the carbs. pull them off the bike, remove the bowls, and spray out the jets with a quality carburetor cleaner. reassemble and you should be good to go. you may have to let the pump run a bit to refill the float bowls but it should fire up. a little fuel in the intakes will speed it up aswel.

and yes, only carbonated bikes can use a gravity fed fuel system. this is only if the gas tank is above the carbs though. typically on bikes that use a faux cover, the tank is below the carbs, and a fuel pump has to be used to supplement the fuel pressure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.