Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1991 ST1100 (approx. miles 18K) and have had it for 3 years...love the ride, but recently have had an issue...

Twice now (about a month apart) I have been on the highway going about 70 mph and the bike shuts down. I coast to the side of the road, turn everything off, back on, it's starts and off I go...

I've looked on the internet and there is a recall for a "bank angle sensor"...I've contacted my dealership and they are going to replace it for me, but my question is...do you think that this is the problem? If not, what else could it be?

Thanks for any help I can get....

signed

a novice rider....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Could be the tilt sencor, it could also be eng. kill switch going bad. Do you kill the motor with the eng. kill switch alot??

Could also be fuel pump going out.

Kurt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I do kill the engine with the kill switch...is that bad?????

Does every bike have a tilt sensor?????????????

·
Registered
29 Posts
All bikes have eng. kill switches.
It may be that the switch it's self has dirt in it. Take it part and clean the contact's in it.
Keep in mind that the fuel pump or the fuel relay could be bad.
OR a cloged fuel filter.
I'm leaning toward a fuel problem here myself.

The older bikes don't but yours does. Have you laid the bike over at some point in time? If so, disconnect the Battery for a few min. and reconect and see if that resets it.

Kurt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the help...I will definately try the battery thing and cleaning the switch. Should I kill the engine with the kill swithc or by turning off with the key???? I replaced the fuel filter last year. The fuel relay,, is that part of the pump or a different switch?

I really appreciate all teh help...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fuel pump relay is a switch off by itself,
You should take the fuel filter off again and check it good, you could have got a couple of tanks of bad gas and clogged it up.

It sounds like to me that the motor is running out of fuel to run from time to time.
If the fuel pump works and then stops for a bit it would do what you where talking about.
After the motor stops and you pull over and it starts back up a min or two later it pumps and fill's the float bowls up again.

The last Honda with this problem that I had was the kill switch.
You should just use the key to kill the motor. The Eng, kill switch is really for emg.

Kurt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help...I just got the bike back from the "recall" and starting to ride again...beginning to see if I still have the problem or not

I'll let you know...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, it fixed it and it was under warranty for a recall...make sure to check for the recall.....

I haven't had the problem reoccur since I've had it fixed...other issues, yes, but not cutting out....

(I had a thermostat gasket go out recently when I was a few hundred miles from home...coolant dripped on the engine and it smoked like a devil.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts