Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have been reading plenty of others problems with rec/reg and stator issues but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction before I strip the bike to bits. So far I have had the stator rewound, replaced the battery but seem to keep blowing all the new reg/rec (heat sink too). When the reg/rec initially blew, it fried the battery and also blew the tail lights! So I'm guessing maybe the wiring loom could be a bit fried. At idle, the headlights seem to flicker if that helps. Also, the first heat sink reg/rec that was replaced seemed to reduce the voltage output when increased RPM and eventually flaten the battery! The second (non heatsink) worked as it should but only for a day. I know that early models had heaps of elec issues and was wondering should I replace any wires with later models? Or perhaps have I just had bad luck in choosing reg/recs due to being an early fireblade? regards, darren:idunno:

·
Registered
82 Posts
you need to get a manual and check all the readings on the wires and components.

it may be you have some heat damage but you will need a multimeter and the values to sort this issue.

the 3 yellow wires at the reg are your first port of call for testing.

hth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks hth, when I replace the rewound stator I got about 75v ac for each of the 3 phases with the reg disconnected so all good there. Tried to get an output with the reg connected using some jumper wires but since power was still going back into the loom (ie to key, lights etc) I wasn't able to get the full 12v out of the reg (bout 6v). Stator & reg connections look good so was wondering where to try next. Is there a way to start the bike with the main loom bypassed? Do you know of any common elec problems with say key or starter solenoid that might short? The bike was dropped lightly also, does that help? Regards, darren

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
thanks hth, when I replace the rewound stator I got about 75v ac for each of the 3 phases with the reg disconnected so all good there. Tried to get an output with the reg connected using some jumper wires but since power was still going back into the loom (ie to key, lights etc) I wasn't able to get the full 12v out of the reg (bout 6v). Stator & reg connections look good so was wondering where to try next. Is there a way to start the bike with the main loom bypassed? Do you know of any common elec problems with say key or starter solenoid that might short? The bike was dropped lightly also, does that help? Regards, darren
You were only getting 6V out of the regulator?
What are you getting across the battery with the engine running and is it climbing or falling?
You should see between about 14V and 15V.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those results were with the first replacement reg given to me by the guy who rewound the stator. At idle (battery charged) I would get say 13v then at 3000rpm or so the voltage accross the battery would actually decrease to about 12.5v! Tried two of his regs and both were same - took bike home and hoped for the best- battery eventually would go flat after about a days ride. Next, replaced the reg (from china - non heat sink) and voltage worked perfectly - but only for one day, rode 15km, then end of day rode back and it died. Thinking back, I disconnected the positive lead with engine running to test voltage like you would a car, motor died as if not enough getting through reg to keep going. Maybe I actually blew the second reg by doing this? Darren

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
At idle (battery charged) I would get say 13v then at 3000rpm or so the voltage accross the battery would actually decrease to about 12.5v!
I'd say your charging system isn't working at all.
With no charging system you might get perhaps an hour out of the bike.
Sounds like the stator is good so I'd be looking at the regulator and its connections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All reg connection look good, have been tightened and aren't burnt out. Is there anything in the loom that can cause it? Darren

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
All reg connection look good, have been tightened and aren't burnt out. Is there anything in the loom that can cause it? Darren
If you are getting 75VAC from the stator but not getting 14V or so to the battery then there is something wrong with the regulator or the wires between it and the battery or between the stator and regulator.
When the engine is running is the voltage across the battery falling or rising?
It should be around 12.8V before you turn the ignition on and should be rising when you start the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All wires between stator and reg look good. The problem which I am concerned about is that on this early fireblade, I can't turn the headlights off (no switch). This makes me think that I have a short in the rest of the loom which is draining the voltage somewheres. Thinking, as you suggest, b/w reg and battery (via loom). Headlights also "flicker" at idle too which is why I am suspect. What do you think. I have purchased to new regs which i will try tommorow (1 heatsink, 1 not). Cheers, darren

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
All wires between stator and reg look good. The problem which I am concerned about is that on this early fireblade, I can't turn the headlights off (no switch). This makes me think that I have a short in the rest of the loom which is draining the voltage somewheres. Thinking, as you suggest, b/w reg and battery (via loom). Headlights also "flicker" at idle too which is why I am suspect. What do you think. I have purchased to new regs which i will try tommorow (1 heatsink, 1 not). Cheers, darren
You said you were only getting 6V out of the regulator which means the battery isn't charging.
If it's not charging to begin with, then it's not likely a short is draining it.
If you charge the battery up does it stay charged overnight whether it's connected to the bike or not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, battery stays charged. Only seems to play up when running. Going to try the two different types of regs and see what output I get. This time I won't disconnect the battery leads whilst running. Let you know how I go....Darren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts