Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im new to this forum and from Australia.

I recently purchased a 1992 CBR900RR and the previous owner mentioned it has 1998 fairings, from the colour scheme it looks like 1999 fairings.

It has the two bolt tank on it he also mentioned the front end has been changed to a later model as well, how can I tell what model/year forks I have?

IF you need to see any specific details please let me know, thanks.

Attachments

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,043 Posts
Hi All,

Im new to this forum and from Australia.

I recently purchased a 1992 CBR900RR and the previous owner mentioned it has 1998 fairings, from the colour scheme it looks like 1999 fairings.

It has the two bolt tank on it he also mentioned the front end has been changed to a later model as well, how can I tell what model/year forks I have?

IF you need to see any specific details please let me know, thanks.
From your pic it looks like a 92-95 frame. They were all the same. As well as a 92-95 motor. What is the engine #? It's stamped on a block by the top of the clutch cover. If it starts SC28 then it's the 893cc motor. SC33 will be the 918cc motor from 96-99. Also looks like the RRW (98) or RRX (99) front end. Measure the distance between the top of the fork tubes in the clamp. W and X has a greater distance than the others. I'm saying it's 98-99 front end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, I will check all of this when I get home tonight, need to make sure before I buy brake pads as they are different bettwen the 2 years

·
8,043 Posts
Thanks all, I will check all of this when I get home tonight, need to make sure before I buy brake pads as they are different bettwen the 2 years
That's true, and the main difference is one pad retaining pin per caliper vs two. 92-97 had the one pin. 98-99 had the two pins. Your calipers have the two pin and are silver. They are 98-99 calipers. Or RRW-RRX.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, he also mentioned that the swing arm was changed as well, is there any differences between the swing arms over the years?

·
8,043 Posts
Thanks for the info, he also mentioned that the swing arm was changed as well, is there any differences between the swing arms over the years?
It may have been "replaced" vs changed, but that is a standard 92-95 model year swing arm, and is a match for the frame. And by looking at the chain adjusters position at the rear axle it looks like you're gonna need a new chain, they look like they're at the max adjustment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, yeah I did notice the chain marks that will be the next thing on my list along with fork seals

1 - 8 of 8 Posts