Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this bike in a trade . It has 6k miles . I’m trying to get a newer bike and doubt I’ll enjoy riding it like I would a newer 1000. Should waste time cleaning it up and trying to get better value or just sell it as is and get what I really want ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
HI. There is always demand for these bikes, but the high demand is for those in pristine condition OR as a base restorer.

My view is that to bring it up to scratch you would have to spend money that might not be recouped upon sale. As there is no emotional value in the bike for you, I would be inclined to sell as as and be done with it. A 'superficial' cleanup would certainly help though!

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,881 Posts
Welcome to Fireblades. I saw that one for sale/sold on Facebook I think. Its in pretty “rough shape” for our standards here BUT, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t already have some value. We LOVE a good project, so for the right buyer, it could pay dividends for you.

It does, as aforementioned, have a VFR swing arm conversion and a hideous exhaust design (not OEM). The windscreen is also an eye sore. It has a Harris mirror stay which was pretty trick for the time, but was meant to help in installing a steering damper of the same vintage on the front gas tank mount.

It also appears to be a tad “lower” in the rear end, possibly for a short inseam or dragging. It may just be the perspective of the pictures.

All that being said, and your desire for something newer, put on a new chain and sprockets, tires, do something cooler with the exhaust (better exit, tuck it up higher on the outside of the passenger peg, or under seat mount), better muffler, and give it an intense DETAILING. Then resell.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
. . . Should waste time cleaning it up and trying to get better value or just sell it as is and get what I really want ?
There is another option if you're racking your brain over this. I will PayPal you $200 and you can ship it to UK as a mark of forum camaraderie! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI. There is always demand for these bikes, but the high demand is for those in pristine condition OR as a base restorer.

My view is that to bring it up to scratch you would have to spend money that might not be recouped upon sale. As there is no emotional value in the bike for you, I would be inclined to sell as as and be done with it. A 'superficial' cleanup would certainly help though!
That sounds about right. I haven’t even wiped it down. I just rode it to storage and took pics. How much do you think it’s worth as is ? It has 6k miles and runs and rides . It sat in the rain a few years, this bike was mint maybe 5 years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to Fireblades. I saw that one for sale/sold on Facebook I think. Its in pretty “rough shape” for our standards here BUT, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t already have some value. We LOVE a good project, so for the right buyer, it could pay dividends for you.

It does, as aforementioned, have a VFR swing arm conversion and a hideous exhaust design (not OEM). The windscreen is also an eye sore. It has a Harris mirror stay which was pretty trick for the time, but was meant to help in installing a steering damper of the same vintage on the front gas tank mount.

It also appears to be a tad “lower” in the rear end, possibly for a short inseam or dragging. It may just be the perspective of the pictures.

All that being said, and your desire for something newer, put on a new chain and sprockets, tires, do something cooler with the exhaust (better exit, tuck it up higher on the outside of the passenger peg, or under seat mount), better muffler, and give it an intense DETAILING. Then resell.
Thank you very much . Yes it’s the same bike and you are correct. Also thanks for the info that I didn’t have . I was wondering what was up with the stay when someone called me out about it not being original . What steering damper would that be that goes with the fairing stay? I planned to remove the exhaust . The headers are rotted so it sounds like shit. Any advice on how to clean up the rust ? And are these original fairings or no?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
. . . How much do you think it’s worth as is ? . . .
Check my flag, I'm UK.

Here, it would be worth £1500 tops to someone who knows the bikes, but an impulsive 'newbie' restorer could go to £2800 on the basis he'll think it'll be worth £5K once finished. Truth is that it probably would be, but these guys don't factor in how much they have to spend on it.

I reckon you could safely start at $1950 and hope to get around $1800. I will certainly defer to my fellow USA friends' opinions though! ;)

·
7,881 Posts
Thank you very much . Yes it’s the same bike and you are correct. Also thanks for the info that I didn’t have . I was wondering what was up with the stay when someone called me out about it not being original . What steering damper would that be that goes with the fairing stay? I planned to remove the exhaust . The headers are rotted so it sounds like shit. Any advice on how to clean up the rust ? And are these original fairings or no?
No advice on the rust end unless you bead blast it and paint it with VHT exhaust paint.

The Harris fairing stay is a UK item, and moved the OEM stay out of the way to fit a damper ahead of the fuel tank, where to OEM stay would be in the way. Unless you have a super inside motorcycle hook up in the UK, you won’t find one.

Just by looking at the fairings they do look OEM, pull one off, should have the Honda part number stamped on the inside.

·
7,881 Posts
I’d be suspicious of the low mileage. If it has a 17” front wheel fitted the speedo might be disconnected.
Good suggestion! I hadn't thought of that, so I had another look at his photos, The front fender mounts (white pieces) are on upside down, and the forks are not from 93 (not a bad thing per se) as they have compression adjusters, so know they have been replaced for some reason. The speedo cable is there and connected, so I would assume now it has the OEM 16" front wheel, BUT, the internal wire that drives the speedo could be broken or missing, and that doesn't mean the gauges are original either.

Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Studying the OP's avatar, I am wondering if the member is our long absent friend @MACE_ ?
I am not him , I’m from New Jersey .
Good suggestion! I hadn't thought of that, so I had another look at his photos, The front fender mounts (white pieces) are on upside down, and the forks are not from 93 (not a bad thing per se) as they have compression adjusters, so know they have been replaced for some reason. The speedo cable is there and connected, so I would assume now it has the OEM 16" front wheel, BUT, the internal wire that drives the speedo could be broken or missing, and that doesn't mean the gauges are original either.

Just something to be aware of.
Thanks . The speedometer works . I rode the bike . And the title has 3k mikes on it. You’re right though, doesn’t mean anything . I didn’t know they were different forks . Are you sure ? And if so , any idea where they are from ?

·
7,881 Posts
I am not him , I’m from New Jersey .

Thanks . The speedometer works . I rode the bike . And the title has 3k mikes on it. You’re right though, doesn’t mean anything . I didn’t know they were different forks . Are you sure ? And if so , any idea where they are from ?
Because they have a compression adjuster, it would be anywhere from 95-97 forks, which in essence, only added the compression adjuster. They were virtually the same casting and everything. They even continued to have the cast "stop nub" for the speedo drive (even though they didn't use one anymore) on the 95-96 forks. I put 96 forks on my 93. You would never know it, only for the compression adjuster which was added in 95.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Do you know what headers I can put on here ? Or if you can repair ones that have rusted through .

·
7,881 Posts
Any version of the carbed 900RR's headers will work, meaning any system from a 93-99 will bolt up. Aftermarket ones would be best, as the OEM mufflers did go through changes over the years and don't always interchange. Here are 2 really good options for the prices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any version of the carbed 900RR's headers will work, meaning any system from a 93-99 will bolt up. Aftermarket ones would be best, as the OEM mufflers did go through changes over the years and don't always interchange. Here are 2 really good options for the prices.

Thank you very much

1 - 20 of 25 Posts