Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1993 Fireblade off of Craigslist, has about 30k miles on it, with an engine swap from a '95 in it. Have been riding it everyday, lots of fun, tons of pickup! I was recently riding it down the road, hit a bump, and lost power. I got to the side of the road, put the bike in neutral, and it fired right up. After clunking it into 1st however, the engine would cut out. I assumed right away that it was a kickstand switch failure, and just had the bike towed back to my house where I was thinking I could fix it. That was about 3 weeks ago, I finally had some free time today and tried to bypass the kickstand switch, which I think I did correctly; connected the two green wires, isolated the yellow. As I had the fairings off for the most part already, I figured I would also try my hand at switching out the stock exhaust for a Two Brother's exhaust that also came with the bike. All in all, I swapped out the exhaust, and did what I thought would bypass the kickstand kill switch. I even charged the battery for kicks and giggles! After all that, I put the keys in the ignition, turn it, and nothing happens. The battery is fully charged, and the tank has plenty of gas. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am lost!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
I recently bought a 1993 Fireblade off of Craigslist, has about 30k miles on it, with an engine swap from a '95 in it. After all that, I put the keys in the ignition, turn it, and nothing happens. The battery is fully charged
When you say nothing happens, what exactly? No lights, no starter, no nothing? And what does fully charged mean to you? A fully charged battery should read 12.7vdc static (no load or connections). Put a meter on the battery and turn the key on. What happens? Does the voltage drop?

Check your regulator/rectifier and stator connections. Are they melted? Also check your 30a main fuse and connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, no lights on dash, no starter, no nothing! However, I did hook up a battery tester to the battery today like suggested, and the battery was only reading around 4.6v. Did not test what would happen if I turned the key. Maybe try a jump start?

·
8,055 Posts
Yeah, no lights on dash, no starter, no nothing! However, I did hook up a battery tester to the battery today like suggested, and the battery was only reading around 4.6v. Did not test what would happen if I turned the key. Maybe try a jump start?
4.6 is beyond bad. You can hook jumper cables from your car, just make sure the car IS NOT running. Make sure your main fuse is good.

·
8,055 Posts
As a point of interest, why do you say that, Ian. Might it be to keep the current a bit lower?
Yes, the output from a cars alternator is substantially more than what our little bike’s battery and wiring can handle, although 12 volts is 12 volts, I would expect the current to be much higher to keep a cars battery at capacity. You run the risk of frying stuff is all. The huge battery from the car holds enough juice to jump the bike easily on its own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts