Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, had my bike for a few months now, it's not in bad condition, however, there are a few things that show it's age, I'm not too keen on the colour combo. The fairings are already not original so I'm not worried about losing oem parts to Chinese fairings.
While I'm not fussy about having oem parts, I want the aftermarket bits to at least the same style. I'll post as I go, but here is what I have done so far.
IMG_20200413_172426.jpg
IMG_20200413_172342.jpg
IMG_20200413_172442.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday, I had a new tail light arrive, I want the original red one but the bike came with white. The part looked like it had been in a parts bin for ages, gathering scuffs and dust. I decided to give it a good clean up to start, before and after pictured
IMG_20200502_135204.jpg
IMG_20200502_140746.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A list of things I will be doing:
  • New fairings
  • Tank painted to match
  • Exhaust recondition and paint
  • Ignition switch, tank lid, seat lock replace
  • Thorough clean
  • Conditioning of plastics and rubbers
  • New grips and barends
  • Guage cluster housing replacement
  • Respray of headlights and cluster brackets
  • Whitening of coolant overflow?
  • Respray of scuffed crank and clutch covers
  • Replace tail light with red original
  • replacement of missing/ non matching fittings
  • replacement of missing petcock lever

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I have ordered fairings that should match these.
Eek! American fairings. They didn't have those in Oz did they?

Each to their own of course. The Oz/Asia/European livery can be a bit gaudy for some. Bike looks as if it's been extremely well kept; no sign of corrosion and the swing arm/rear shock area is great. Will follow your progress with interest.;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Eek! American fairings. They didn't have those in Oz did they?

Each to their own of course. The Oz/Asia/European livery can be a bit gaudy for some. Bike looks as if it's been extremely well kept; no sign of corrosion and the swing arm/rear shock area is great. Will follow your progress with interest.;)
That looks pretty sedate:sleep: Eye opening and retina burninig...1992 Gixxer "Pink Tiger". I heard Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder complained enough to end it after only one year:eek: But then Ninjas got a smaller version of it two years later....Pink Cubbie maybe???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Australia didn't get the American style fairings, I'm not even sure if the US got it in red/white/black, only the red/white/blue. The black is aftermarket only, I think. I'm not much of a fan of the scribble look, it hasn't aged well imo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_20200429_095117.jpg
some more photos of what's going on, I didn't get photos of the before on the painting. The paint on the guage bracket was all scratched and chipped from badly organised lines, the lights were building surface rust.
IMG_20200429_095117.jpg
IMG_20200429_095031.jpg
IMG_20200428_152838.jpg
IMG_20200428_152821.jpg
IMG_20200428_152737.jpg
The light bracket was more just because I wanted it black to match the rest.
Also, you can see why the guages need a replacement casing.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Good paint work. Is it conventional spray or powder coating?

Also, you can see why the guages need a replacement casing.
I can see, but I'm wondering whether it's because of the scraping or because the odometer reads 90,000-plus 😃 😃.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
haha, i'm only 10k away from a new 0k bike... I will only be replacing the outer skin, transferring the internals.
It is a conventional rust repair spray paint. I have already organised the clutch and brake lines, choke and throttle cables and wiring to prevent further rubbing so it should hold for a bit. If I were to maybe down the line get some powdercoating done I'd consider throwing these in but for now, i'm happy with them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced grips today, it was bugging me that they were so different.
With the exhaust headers off the bike for restoration, access to clean the engine is better... so much grime!
I also got my coolant overflow tank out, it's really yellow... with the inside cleaned out with bleach, rice, a dishwashing tab and a half hour of shaking, it's in to soak in bleach for a few days (maybe even a week) hopefully whiten it up.

thumbnail_IMG_20200502_162356.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200502_162326.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200502_150104.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200502_134918.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200502_145200.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200427_122044.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200427_122037.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, with the fuel tank, I have a quote for $600+ based on photos sent, saying the crack in the current paint could be indicative of more major repair work needed. To rattle can it would be around $100 for all materials. I have painted fairings before on my ducati 748 (pictured), I'm confident in getting a decent finish but tossing weather to have it done professionally. Thoughts?
FB_IMG_1579768550545.jpg
FB_IMG_1555767760497.jpg
IMG_20200411_205420.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
For the difference, I'd do it myself.

If it turns out crap, well you haven't really lost much. Having done it before is to your advantage!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the difference, I'd do it myself.

If it turns out crap, well you haven't really lost much. Having done it before is to your advantage!
You just wanna see me do some work :p , it makes for a more engaging thread, I suppose. That will have to wait for my "temporary garage" (a gazebo with walls) to arrive. My brother has a crack in his RVF fairing that could be done along side it, too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thumbnail_IMG_20200427_154326.jpg

I gave the air box a good clean, good to know the previous owner wasn't lying about it having a new filter, but it had some major grease build up before the filter, cleaned and conditioned (alot more work than I had anticipated).

Should I be worried about the cause of all the scuffing? Fuel tank sitting directly on the air box? Or is this normal?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That nose cone looks Chinese, the edges not rounded off and the black finish on the underside are the giveaway signs.
They are, this is why I'm not fussed by replacing them with new Chinese fairings. I simply don't have the budget to get oem requiring repairs and Respray, a full set of fairings in repairable condition would cost more than the bike did.
I picked up the bike cheap considering it's mechanical state and that, in Australia, there just aren't any available. Took me 6 months to find it. Getting Oem parts is also very hard in Australia, I basically have to factor in an extra $30-100 for postage from UK/USA for every part. The coolant overflow, for example costs around $25-40 depending on condition but then tax and postage brings it up to $120, wreckers here know this and charge a premium as a result. Trying to restore parts rather than replace as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts