Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Trying to find out if there is a way to replace what I thought were termed "emulsion tubes", but the part I am lookig for appears to be called "needle jet holder" which is a bit confusing, I might have the terms mixed up, but basically the jet the needle moves in and out of with holes down the side, these machined tubes (whatever the correct terminology usually has the main jet screwed into the bottom of it, this I think is what I'm after https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr900r...land_model2481/needle-jet-holder_16165mw0600/.

I can't seen to find any anymore, I tried going to Keihin, but the VP80B carb does not appear to be listed anymore. I'm half expecting that these jets might be a common part fitted to different carbs through the years, but I'm not sure how to find that out.

Has anyone managed to get an old fireblade running right in the midrange as they get older, mine is coming up for 100k and is still fighting fit, except for this slight holding back in the mid throttle position, that I have solved on another bike I had by just rejetting with new standard needle and needle jets. That said will just changing the needles suffice or does anyone know if these jets are also prone to going oval? Any help trying to understand this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm surprised no one has had this issue. Oh well. I'm guessing this forum is nearly dead?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,294 Posts
Those terms are basically interchangeable. Honda parts fiche call it the needle jet holder, but emulsion tube is common among us mere civilians.

You’ll have to find a used set or an entire used set of carbs to get them. Discontinued from the big H, they’ll be hard to find. The do go oval, so I’ve heard, but I’ve never run into them being so worn that they’re no good. Kind of funny how a dangly aluminum needle can wear out a brass tube over time, with no wear showing on the needle.

And yeah, this awesome forum has gone dormant, save foronly a handful of “old school” 900 guys that peek in every now and then. It’s a shame, but that’s what Facebook and more reliable bikes has done to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those terms are basically interchangeable. Honda parts fiche call it the needle jet holder, but emulsion tube is common among us mere civilians.

You’ll have to find a used set or an entire used set of carbs to get them. Discontinued from the big H, they’ll be hard to find. The do go oval, so I’ve heard, but I’ve never run into them being so worn that they’re no good. Kind of funny how a dangly aluminum needle can wear out a brass tube over time, with no wear showing on the needle.

And yeah, this awesome forum has gone dormant, save foronly a handful of “old school” 900 guys that peek in every now and then. It’s a shame, but that’s what Facebook and more reliable bikes has done to it.
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your response, yes this was the what I understood. There is the dynajet stage 1 kit that could cover, but I hear from a reliable source that these actually wear out the emulsion tubes a lot quicker than the standard ones. I've just found this on ebay though and yes it doesn't appear to have the needles, but it's a start, I can only assume it is the needles that push prices up as the rest of the kit seems very low 1Kits Carburetor Carb Rebuild Kit Fit For Honda CBR900RR Fireblade 1992-1995 Hot | eBay. Might be worth a punt at that price, I can always put the original jets back in if it goes wrong.

Regarding the website, that's a real shame, I have found this site a massively helpful resource over the years even though I post very little. Maybe it could be consolidated into a smaller more manageable classic enthusiasts format and keep it fireblade specific as the resources for older bikes obviously dwindles as the bikes meet their graves. I don't want to give this blade up just yet, it's been the most cost effective fuel efficient and reliable and fun bike I've ever owned and when it does die, it's just going to be rebuilt as a project, defo not going in the bin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah just seen that kit is from China and while I will buy chinese electronics all day as they can be superior, I don't trust quality of metal. They look to be a copy of the keyster carb kits which I know nothing about currently.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,294 Posts
If you can find one, the best “kits” are/were made by Factory Pro. Usually came with needles, mains, slows, hardware, and springs. I used their kits exclusively for their proper use of Keihin jets, proper instructions and plug and play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts