Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've recently had some electrical problems with my 1994 Honda CBR 900.

Some background information:

Was at an intersection one day and my CBR stalled out on me (embarrassing). As I went to start it up, the engine wouldn't turn over, but the lights turned on. Had the battery jump started and it turned right on. Thought it was strange for the battery to die on me when the engine was just on... Got home and checked the voltage and noticed that the alternator was only pumping 12 volts into the battery, when it should be between 13 and 15. Opened up the Rectifier Regulator and found that the wires leading into it were burnt to a crisp (Not sure if this was the cause).

To make a long story short, we replaced the burnt wire clips with new ones and put a brand new plastic adapter in place of the old one as well.

Now she wont start at all. No lights, no turnover. Jump start wont even work.

Note: It did start with the old burnt wires prior to installation.

If anyone could help me identify what could be the problem, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,993 Posts
Hello all!

I've recently had some electrical problems with my 1994 Honda CBR 900.

Some background information:

Was at an intersection one day and my CBR stalled out on me (embarrassing). As I went to start it up, the engine wouldn't turn over, but the lights turned on. Had the battery jump started and it turned right on. Thought it was strange for the battery to die on me when the engine was just on... Got home and checked the voltage and noticed that the alternator was only pumping 12 volts into the battery, when it should be between 13 and 15. Opened up the Rectifier Regulator and found that the wires leading into it were burnt to a crisp (Not sure if this was the cause).

To make a long story short, we replaced the burnt wire clips with new ones and put a brand new plastic adapter in place of the old one as well.

Now she wont start at all. No lights, no turnover. Jump start wont even work.

Note: It did start with the old burnt wires prior to installation.

If anyone could help me identify what could be the problem, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Sounds like your typical stator overcharging and reg/rec issues. I know it's gonna sound dumb, but did you make sure you have the wires in the replaced connector in the right spot? There are countless threads dealing with this issue. I think the red/white wire comes from the main fuse, but I would have to check the wire diagram. Make sure the 30 amp main is still good at the starter solenoid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts