Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first time posting on a forum of any sort so forgive me if I make a mistake as I am very new to this. My 1996 cbr 600 lacks power from idle to about 6000 rpms. High revving it drives like a dream. Also when I am at an idle and start to go it always seems like it is on the verge of dying. as if it is being flooded with gas maybe? The bike has about 40000 miles on it. I do not know much about this history of the bike besides the fact that when I bought it a month ago it has ridden with out error since this past weekend. My driving habits are pretty timid with the occasional romp on the gas. So any suggestion about where I should look at for my power issue?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey guys this is my first time posting on a forum of any sort so forgive me if I make a mistake as I am very new to this. My 1996 cbr 600 lacks power from idle to about 6000 rpms. High revving it drives like a dream. Also when I am at an idle and start to go it always seems like it is on the verge of dying. as if it is being flooded with gas maybe? The bike has about 40000 miles on it. I do not know much about this history of the bike besides the fact that when I bought it a month ago it has ridden with out error since this past weekend. My driving habits are pretty timid with the occasional romp on the gas. So any suggestion about where I should look at for my power issue?

What other bikes are you comparing it to?
It's a sportsbike so the engine is designed to make power at high RPM. You need to get the revs up before engaging the clutch when taking off from stationary.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Don't pull away from idle. Get the revs up to at least 4K before take off

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Don't pull away from idle. Get the revs up to at least 4K before take off
I think it's more of a problem for Americans that only drive automatic cars when they have to deal with using a clutch, they try to move off without any throttle.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I think it's more of a problem for Americans that only drive automatic cars when they have to deal with using a clutch, they try to move off without any throttle.
That does make sense :thumb:

Driving dodgem cars with no stick or clutch ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi tonto.
How is the bike at idle? Do mean it is hesitant below 6k. There should be sufficient power below that rpm for normal riding? If it runs rough with that mileage would consider a duff spark plug or change the air filter to assist poor fuelling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok everybody appreciate the support so far figured out the issue but I do not know how to fix it. When my petcock is set for on, I idle rough it is hard to start up and only drives good if I keep it at 5 grand. Swapped it to reserve drives like it did the day I bought it.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok everybody appreciate the support so far figured out the issue but I do not know how to fix it. When my petcock is set for on, I idle rough it is hard to start up and only drives good if I keep it at 5 grand. Swapped it to reserve drives like it did the day I bought it.

Is the tank full?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Full tank. It isn't an intermittent issue, as long as it is set to 'on' the power band acts very sporadic and weak. My guess at this moment is something could possibly be jamming a part of the petcock, maybe?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Full tank. It isn't an intermittent issue, as long as it is set to 'on' the power band acts very sporadic and weak. My guess at this moment is something could possibly be jamming a part of the petcock, maybe?

I would pull the fuel tap and clean the filter then.
Or just leave it set to reserve of course.
Any indication of rust in the tank?

·
Registered
53 Posts
has the bike been sitting for awhile? could be some partial plugged jets and circuits in the carbs, petcock going bad, and maybe valve's are tight just a thought.. I have a 91 f2 when I started having these issues I went through the carbs and the slow jet was plugged. Checked the valves and they were tight, not sure if that was part of the problem but since I was in there I went on and did it and she ran like a charm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts