Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im having some problems. Im using the engine in a race car that hasnt been run yet. Been having a bunch of issues with the clutch. First the lifter pin came disengaged so i had to take apart the clutch cover to hook it back up. There was a ton of play in it, maybe 1/2in to 3/4in (in and out). I still couldnt get it to disengage at all so i took apart the clutch. I made a dumb mistake and used regular 10w40 in the engine. I searched online real quickly and found a post saying ANY engine oil was ok. Found out later it isnt. I have since bought new clutch discs and MC oil just to make sure that wont be a problem in the future. I believe part of my problem is the clutch basket is worn out. I cant find any online so im kind of stuck here. Has anyone ever filed them down and made them smooth themselves? This bike did move at one time before I did the engine swap. I think once the tension was taken off the lifter pin it let loose and started all my problems. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,155 Posts
This is my 93 from last year. Grooves and all, never had a problem. I've heard of people complain about the grooves, but I don't know of them being responsible for any issues. Maybe it was something else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool. I showed a bike mechanic mine today. He said I should just file them smooth to be sure. I think the previous owner didn’t torque the springs to spec either bc they were very tight. Hoping that’s my problem. I did a few hours of searching last night and couldn’t find any clutch baskets. Center or outters. Hopefully this will fix it

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,155 Posts
Ok cool. I showed a bike mechanic mine today. He said I should just file them smooth to be sure. I think the previous owner didn’t torque the springs to spec either bc they were very tight. Hoping that’s my problem. I did a few hours of searching last night and couldn’t find any clutch baskets. Center or outters. Hopefully this will fix it
The springs don't necessarily have a torque spec, they get "snugged", as if you try to use a 3/4" ratchet torque wrench on them to 9 ft.lbs they will probably snap. I've seen it happen a hundred times. if you torque them, use a 1/4" ratchet and just snug them. But too tight or too loose doesn't affect the operation of the clutch (unless they were falling out loose lol).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts