Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright this may be something i can get an answer for that will help me out.
i know the 1996 fuel tank has different mounting tabs than the 1992 fuel tank. i would like to know if the tanks are the exact same shape. reason being i am buying 1992 plastics for my 1996 and i can buy the fuel tank cover at the same time but if they aren't interchangeable except for the mounts i don't want to buy one for a 1992.
also i know i'll have to make modifications to put 1992 plastic on a 1996 but that's what i am going to do. the dual round headlights is what i am going for.
thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's still usable for certain situations. Recently waxed my ride (almost a month ago) and noticed a deep scratch on the right top of the gas tank. I have no idea where it comes from. Tried my best to rub it using wax but can't get it out. Went to a mechanic he suggested a solution to cover it rather than fixing it because if he tries to fix it then the surrounding area will be affected too and I don't want to put an aftermarket paint pray that not even looks the original. So, for the past three weeks, I covered it with the tank bag VikingBags Survival Series Honda Magnetic Motorcycle Tank Bag that I had ordered from the viking bags. It's not a permanent solution but still better than nothing also helps me to carry the wallet, and glasses, etc. Need your suggestion. should I repaint my gas tank or what?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,332 Posts
alright this may be something i can get an answer for that will help me out.
i know the 1996 fuel tank has different mounting tabs than the 1992 fuel tank. i would like to know if the tanks are the exact same shape. reason being i am buying 1992 plastics for my 1996 and i can buy the fuel tank cover at the same time but if they aren't interchangeable except for the mounts i don't want to buy one for a 1992.
also i know i'll have to make modifications to put 1992 plastic on a 1996 but that's what i am going to do. the dual round headlights is what i am going for.
thanks,
Yeah, the SC33 tanks 96-99 were not as tall and bulky. The tank cover will not work. I put a 96 SC33 tank on my 93 SC28 and just drilled 2 holes in the frame to accept the 2 bolt mount. Otherwise, the tanks fit perfect. The only other “slight” difference is the height of the petcock switch in the frame triangle.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
139 Posts
it's still usable for certain situations. Recently waxed my ride (almost a month ago) and noticed a deep scratch on the right top of the gas tank. I have no idea where it comes from. Tried my best to rub it using wax but can't get it out. Went to a mechanic he suggested a solution to cover it rather than fixing it because if he tries to fix it then the surrounding area will be affected too and I don't want to put an aftermarket paint pray that not even looks the original. So, for the past three weeks, I covered it with the tank bag VikingBags Survival Series Honda Magnetic Motorcycle Tank Bag that I had ordered from the viking bags. It's not a permanent solution but still better than nothing also helps me to carry the wallet, and glasses, etc. Need your suggestion. should I repaint my gas tank or what?
Can you post a photo of the tank scratch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts