Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my project is pretty much complete, I’d like to introduce myself and my bike. I’m a graduate student from Hawaii that just recently got bitten by the motorcycle bug, and wanted a project to introduce myself to the basic mechanics of it all. Found this 1996 CBR900RR from a Military guy who had just crashed it and didn’t have any place to store it/time to work on it. Crash bars did a hell of a job preventing this bike from getting completely killed. Being a little island with little opportunity, I bought it for a pretty steep price. Aside from the damage, it seemed mechanically fine. I was able to start it up and drive it. The bike also had relatively low miles at 16181. Other cons included a missing seat, non-functioning gauge cluster, broken right rear set, hacked rear fender. Little did I know the radiator was also damaged (mounting tab broke). Long story short, there was a lot of work ahead of me. Here are the initial pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wish I had taken more pics, especially of the bike completely naked after I tore it apart… err… phrasing… Anyway, once I get wrenching it’s hard to step away to wash my hands and take pictures. If it’s any consolation, here are some pictures of the replacement parts. Interesting note, the fox-eye headlamps are hella hard to find for cheap, mine ended up coming all the way from Ireland. The upper cowl stay/gauge cluster mount came from England (along with some other mounting brackets). The body, of course, came from Singapore. Aside from them messing up my order and sending me the 94-95 body style, it lined up pretty decently. It was a lot better than what I expected at 360 bucks. But it’s nowhere near perfect. Mounting it was a PITA. But hey, it was cheap. I went with a solid black no decal set up with the thought of having to paint it in the future. Paint scratches pretty easily, so I’m glad I went that route.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This picture deserves its own little post. I was dumb-founded by this. Maybe someone else can explain why you would do this? I mean, air filters are pretty darn important and all, but if you really don’t want one, why bother cutting out the paper element? Why not just take the darn thing out? Or put foam? IDK, I just found this weird. This picture deserved its own post, and the person that did this deserves a special place in hell.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And now here’s everything put together. Again, not pictured is a lot of sweat, tears, cut hands and scraped knuckles. Being in Hawaii, rear DOT approved signals are required, along with reflectors. Being the original rear fender a one-piece with the underbody plastic, I had to improvise. Turned out a lot better than I expected.
Other interesting things I learned about this bike:
1) One of the POs changed the vacuum petcock to a gravity petcock
2) The bike may actually have more than 16181 miles, after I fixed the cluster, the speedo still didn’t work. Turns out the speed sensor made poor contact with the nut on the sprocket. A couple of washers later and the speedo works just fine.
3) The crash bars worked wonders and truly saved this bike from certain death
4) One of the POs really liked green. It came with Green LED underbody lights
5) Whoever did the custom bodywork/lighting done messed up. There are LEDs on the back wired for brakes and turns, but they crossed the left and right signals. Yeah… attention to detail…

Anyway, that's my bike. The work never ends (there's still a couple of things I need to work on, including getting the beefier 96+ fenders on) but the bike runs and drives. All said and done, calculated 2700 sunk in the project (along with my blood, sweat, and tears). But you can't put a price on a hobby. Plus, that's a great deal for a sport-bike in Hawaii. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Attachments

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,871 Posts
Well done!!!:clap:

Another vintage 900 saved by someone who obviously likes them. I commend you on the rebirth. And I won't hammer you for only having before and after pics.......the camera doesn't care if your hands are dirty:rotfl:

Again, great job and I think the solid black looks great.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
nice work and welcome to the site if i havent already welcomed you. ill admit im slightly jealous of the view. : )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts