Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just a quick question, I have a 96 900rr and the gas tank and ignition key are different and I was wondering if a 94 ignition and tank lock would swap in? I also thought about re keying the gas tank lock and trunk would this be a better option or should I just swap it?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answered my own question by taking the gas tank lock apart.

If anyone else has this problem all you need to do is the following.

1. Take the three screws out that are behind the rubber seal on the under side of the cap and then pull it off.
2. Remove the lock mechanism making sure not to drop any of the tumblers out in the process and then stick your new key(ignition key in my case) into the lock and see which tumblers stick out.
3. The ones that stick out are the ones you need to file down until they do not stick out anymore.
4. Put the lock back in the lower portion of the cap and test it. If it works put it back together and your done! If not just file a little more off and try it again!

Hope this helps someone else out with the same situation!

Also if a moderator could change the title to something more appropriate since I figured out how to do it that would be great!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Answered my own question by taking the gas tank lock apart.

If anyone else has this problem all you need to do is the following.

1. Take the three screws out that are behind the rubber seal on the under side of the cap and then pull it off.
2. Remove the lock mechanism making sure not to drop any of the tumblers out in the process and then stick your new key(ignition key in my case) into the lock and see which tumblers stick out.
3. The ones that stick out are the ones you need to file down until they do not stick out anymore.
4. Put the lock back in the lower portion of the cap and test it. If it works put it back together and your done! If not just file a little more off and try it again!

Hope this helps someone else out with the same situation!

Also if a moderator could change the title to something more appropriate since I figured out how to do it that would be great!

Remember to swap any tumblers that are long with any that are short before you file them all off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts