Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this as short as I can.

Years ago I bought a 97RR, turns out it had a 95 engine. The bottom end has issues now so I bought a wrecked 94. I have it swapped out now, and only have #1 and #3 firing. I'm using the 94 carbs and coils, I'm also using starter relay and CDI which was a MUST.
My carbs(1997) have the throttle sensor and the 94 carbs do not, so that leaves an open plug in my harness and one wire is the same color wire as one of the leads on the coil.
Is this why my bike isn't firing?? Pipes 1 and three get hot so the fire I am getting is 1 and 3.

Thanks in advance

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,867 Posts
The TPS shouldn't make 2 dead cylinders. Or 1 for that matter. Make sure you have the coil primary and secondary leads wired up properly. Take the coil that's working and swap it to see if the other cylinders fire. If the carbs have been sitting for 12 months or so, they'll need a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for chiming in! Well I swapped to the 97 carbs and throttle sensor and it fired right up! Maybe just a coincidence though! Either way thanks again for chiming in bud!!!

·
7,867 Posts
Thank you for chiming in! Well I swapped to the 97 carbs and throttle sensor and it fired right up! Maybe just a coincidence though! Either way thanks again for chiming in bud!!!
Yessss! I love easy fixes. Glad you got it sorted out. Ride on mate!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meeeee tooooo!!! Got 12-15 miles, now time to re-check everything for a 3rd time lol tomorrow will be re-check, oil, plugs and new coolant!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some searching and couldn't find what I needed so I'm bumping this thread as opposed to starting a new thread.

The swapped engine is running well enough. My car is in the shop so I've been daily riding the bike.
Day before yesterday I started having some tach issues, the needle is jumping around a bit. The only consistent thing is that most times over 6k it acts normally and sometimes at idle it's ok. It has reactions to the throttle and the brake lever. I've done some searching here but didn't see anything relevant.

The harness is mostly intact. The R/R harness has been repaired(by me), the turn signals have been removed and capped(by me) and it looks as though the main wires from the ignition switch running toward the headlights have been repaired at some point(not by me). I haven't taken the plastic off but initial inspection of the wiring looks good and the ground wire is tight. I will add that we have had some rain lately and unfortunately my bike has been in it a couple times.....

Any advice as where to start or what to test would be welcomed.

·
7,867 Posts
I would say a loose or bad ground, or reg/rec and surrounding wiring may be on the way out. These bike don't normally have electrical issues, but the failing charging system can wreak havoc on the system. Check and double check it all again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mods were done quite some time and miles ago but I will def take that advice check everything very carefully! Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts