Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really trying to swap to the gixxer tail. Dont know where to start. Do i need to swap the subframe also? just fairings? Need some direction thank you.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Really trying to swap to the gixxer tail. Dont know where to start. Do i need to swap the subframe also? just fairings? Need some direction thank you.
Any particular model of GSXR tail?
Regardless, I would expect you'd need to modify the subframe and/or tail unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Trust me use as much of the GSXR as you can, this way the every thing will work better, seat fixings, battery, tail light, seat lock, undertray etc...

when you have removed your original subframe get some 2" alloy box tube and fix them to the 900 frame mounts, then fix the suzuki seat to the suzuki subframe and offer it upto your bike, hopefully the seat will meet up with the tank ok, usually the donar subframes are a lot longer so cut away the frame so what is left meets up with the 2" box tube you have fitted allready.

when you have it set in line and to the correct height use some G clamps to hold it all in place and weld up and your done.

hope this helps

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well definetly some direction. I was clueless on where to get started. Thank you now just to start finding some Gixxer parts. Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That bike is actually what has actually inspired to do the swap. This is my second cbr 900 great bike and all but that tail is just killing me. How would i go abou tgetting ahold of sime? thank you

FSRJOSH, try the address below:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/52867-pics-my-moto-gp-restyled-fireblade.html

If that doesn't work, do a search for "SIME" as he put a 2004 GSXR 1000 tail on his cbr and he used the original subframe. I'll warn you though, once you see his bike, you'll want to do more than just a tail swap. You could also message him too as he seems like a very friendly and helpful guy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That bike is actually what has actually inspired to do the swap. This is my second cbr 900 great bike and all but that tail is just killing me. How would i go abou tgetting ahold of sime? thank you
I agree. I'm going to be starting a project myself, based on this bike:

http://http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/bodyline/bike/100_3355.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D66828&usg=__NTtYLc607V2i2rp6Tsf4qhDo_hg=&h=600&w=800&sz=199&hl=en&start=40&um=1&tbnid=3FtG6Uz31nYBMM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcustom%2Bcbr%2B900%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

This one is made it out of carbon, but as far as I can tell it is based on the stock tail plastic, just cut in half and then sculpted to go to the bottom rail of the subframe. It will save a lot of money, but maybe not time as there will be a lot of sanding to get things smooth. I think it will be worth it though as it will be a very rare look for a cbr, or any bike for that matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The unfortunate part is that i just sold my car so its kind of hard to focus on the transformation of my cbr when i have to ride to wrk and everywhere else. not that i mind i just would like to give this alot of attention.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i got a lot of advice from sime and darkstarcbr when i went to do mine. Search here and rrzone to find a wealth of info.

When i did it i bought a second subframe and did all the modding on it, then just swapped it out as i didnt want to have my bike in pieces long term. I also welded everything instead of bolting which they both did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a lot of advice from sime and darkstarcbr when i went to do mine. Search here and rrzone to find a wealth of info.

When i did it i bought a second subframe and did all the modding on it, then just swapped it out as i didnt want to have my bike in pieces long term. I also welded everything instead of bolting which they both did.
Did you use another cbr subframe or did u swap it to the gixxer also?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used the subframe from another 98 900rr (same model as mine)

Did a fair amount of cutting on it, and had to weld in a new rectifier mount, a mount for the seat latch, and a mount for the rear seat catch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I guess i dont have any pics of the rectifier plate, you can see it a little in the last one, its just a simple plate welded inside the subframe near the front

Edit: i forgot to say earlier, i also cut off the stock rear bracket, trimmed it, moved it forward, and welded it back on

Attachments

·
Premium Member
78 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sounds good guys well im gonna definetly start ordering some parts and get started. ill keep you guys updated with some before and after pcs. might still have questions on this while in the process so, would defintly like some response thanks
stay free ride safe FSRPREZ josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
@jester600. You have some trick bikes. What was the process with the sssa on the 954rr? Direct bolt on? Can you help me out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not a direct bolt on, they require a fair bit of work to both the mount and spindle. Have a look on the site as there are plenty of people that have done it.

I do have 5 arms in stock that are ready to go now and they will bolt straight in £500 not including wheel.

The price is for the modded arm, new spindle, hub,caliper,disc,chain guard,brake line and new split link for chain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts