Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up everybody my names Ken, before I start I will forewarn you that I am a noobie rider and mechanic so please bare with me. But okay I recently purchased a 1997 f3 cbr600 off of craigslist (first questionable decision) I purchased the bike with little mechanic skills and little knowledge of how to actually operate a 600cc bike (I've rode dirtbikes and scooters a few times nothing worth mentioning). I had the guy bring deliver it to me it started right up that day and a few days consecutively after that but now it won't do anything. I purchased a new battery because when the bike first began to give me a problem the lights seemed to be getting dimmer with every attempt to start. I purchase the new battery and them magic wala problem fixed until the next day and then the bike won't start. I tried to start the bike with the choke as the previous owner referred to it (I have no clue what this thing does ) and nothing still. When I try to start the bike up now all I hear is a quick sputter from the bike. It will do this the first 3 times I try to start the bike and then after that no response when trying to start. Please if anyone has any knowledge of what to do please advise. I start my DOT classes in a few weeks and would like to have some practice under my belt. Also any pointers as to what I should check on the bike before operating it let me know. The owner said the bike was covered year round but has fallen once before. Any assistance is welcome

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,096 Posts
Hey what's up everybody my names Ken, before I start I will forewarn you that I am a noobie rider and mechanic so please bare with me. But okay I recently purchased a 1997 f3 cbr600 off of craigslist (first questionable decision) I purchased the bike with little mechanic skills and little knowledge of how to actually operate a 600cc bike (I've rode dirtbikes and scooters a few times nothing worth mentioning). I had the guy bring deliver it to me it started right up that day and a few days consecutively after that but now it won't do anything. I purchased a new battery because when the bike first began to give me a problem the lights seemed to be getting dimmer with every attempt to start. I purchase the new battery and them magic wala problem fixed until the next day and then the bike won't start. I tried to start the bike with the choke as the previous owner referred to it (I have no clue what this thing does ) and nothing still. When I try to start the bike up now all I hear is a quick sputter from the bike. It will do this the first 3 times I try to start the bike and then after that no response when trying to start. Please if anyone has any knowledge of what to do please advise. I start my DOT classes in a few weeks and would like to have some practice under my belt. Also any pointers as to what I should check on the bike before operating it let me know. The owner said the bike was covered year round but has fallen once before. Any assistance is welcome
:welcome: sounds like there is an electrical gremlin drawing on the battery while it's not in use. Your best bet is to get yourself a manual and read it like your taking a final exam on it. You'll appreciate it, and so will your CBR.
It's a great first bike, but be warned it has a lot of power and really good brakes. Being that you're a self described noob, give this bike the respect it deserves. Learn everything about it, and gather as much sport bike knowledge you can. This is a great site for knowledge, but sometimes we require an effort of the poster to figure stuff out by trial and error. It's pretty much the way we all learned about motorcycling and the wrenching that almost is always required on them, not just for problems, but for modifications/racing/upgrades.

Do you know any other history on the bike? Alarm on it? Extra lights wired on, etc. Oh, and the choke is an enricher that allows a cold engine to start more easily by providing more fuel at start up.

You'll undoubtedly need a multimeter and the service manual to trace what seems to be an electrical issue. If the battery goes flat over time without actually turning the bike on and using it there is a draw on the battery somewhere. After a period of sitting with no use the battery is half drained, then thumbing the starter takes the little life it has left in it. Congrats on choosing a great make and model, you'll find it's a great bike.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hey Ken, Ian about said it all... I would be leaning toward either an issue with the charging system (stator and R/R) not providing sustaining voltage to keep the battery charged, but more so toward there being a draw on the battery, as Ian suggested.

Like he said, get you a multi-meter, if you don't already have one, and start with the simple current leakage test, which is at the top of this page of the manual - this will show you if there is something sucking juice from your battery, and then you just have to try to isolate what is doing it.

This is from the F2 manual, but the test will be the same... AND, if you don't yet have a manual, get one!! I recommend a Honda service manual, and additionally, a Haynes manual.

Good luck! :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts