Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Honda CBR 900RR.

• Bike was stolen from me
  • Found bike 7 days later and was found flipped upside down.
  • When bike was found, ignition + throttle assembly was replaced with another

- Took bike to shop and then did the following:
  • 230-MK4410 - MINI FUSES
  • 4x CR8EH9 - SPARK PLUG
  • LED flasher relay
  • GN4 10W40 4 LITRE
  • MFJ-D01 - OIL FILTER CARTR
  • 08C50-C321S02 - COOLANT HP TYPE
  • 2x SEAL AIR/C CASE
  • NEW KILL SWITCH
  • SPROCKT FINAL 43T

!! No start
!! Fr Cluster used to get power - now no longer does

Notes
blown fuse replaced
Carbs found loose - installed
Bike test started - heavy smoking
Recommend full tune up (oil/filter/plugs) to diagnose smoking issue
Recommend removing unnecessary wiring - likely caused blown fuse
Ultra sonic clean the carbs / set carb jetting/mixture back to stock
Recommend replacing air filter(s) with stock filter (bike will have running issues if intake and/or exhaust is modified
DONE

·
Registered
154 Posts
Did the bike start after the Ignition had been replaced and it was smoking , how long would the bike have been upside down (possibly oil through engine) Does the Horn work (same power line to the Meter)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the bike start after the Ignition had been replaced and it was smoking, how long would the bike have been upside down (possibly oil through engine) Does the Horn work (same power line to the Meter)
The Bike will start when I put gas in the carbs with the ignition open. It does smoke through the exhaust pipe. Sometimes It's white smoke, sometimes it's black smoke. The incident happened 2 years ago and was upside down for maybe a few hours before it was found. The horn also does still work perfectly fine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any fuel from the tank to the carbs and is the vacuum hose fitted from the carbs to the Petcock
The main issue I think I'm having as of last night is that the vacuum hose isn't sucking the fuel from the tank and feeding it to the carbs. It wasn't connected the first few times I tried to start it. I reconnected it, turned on the fuel switch to on, and still nothing. I just ordered this new piece arriving tomorrow. Fuel Tank Petcock Valve Switch For HONDA CBR900RR CBR 900 RR 1996-1999, Fuel System - Amazon Canada

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeh if its starting with the spray into the carbs it could be the Petcock , I know its daft but have you tried (with the Petcock turned on) sucking on the vacuum pipe that goes to the carb, but watch out if the membrane is split inside the Petcock you might get a gob full of petrol, but if the petrol runs through the feed pipe toward the carbs then it looks like your petcock is alright

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh if its starting with the spray into the carbs it could be the Petcock , I know its daft but have you tried (with the Petcock turned on) sucking on the vacuum pipe that goes to the carb, but watch out if the membrane is split inside the Petcock you might get a gob full of petrol, but if the petrol runs through the feed pipe toward the carbs then it looks like your petcock is alright
I will try that now and report back.

I know that when I connect the vaccum line to the petcock + the fuel like to the carbs there is no fuel running to the carbs. When I take it off, it is bone dry.

- Could it be the carbs at all?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think the carbs could be OK , if they are starting with the spray , just seem there's a lack of fuel to them ,try undoing one of the carb bowl drains screw just to see if they are dry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The petcock is probably broken. Mine was rusting badly. Take it apart and clean the screen carefully (it is very fragile).
I think I found my catalyst!!!

I took apart the petcock last night after my new one arrived in the mail. The pet-c tube had a broken rubber gasket wedged inside it. Am gonna get some quick start into the carbs and try and spark it up tonight/ this weekend and report back!

Thanks everybody for your support!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts