Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be appreciated.

I know I must be overlooking this in my service manual, or not looking in the right place. I'll get to the issue:

I can't get the coolant in my bike. Pretty dumb issue, I'll admit. I put the coolant in my reserve tank, ran the bike idle, and it went and stayed at 210 that afternoon. I thought it was odd, so I turned off the bike. Next day I warm it up to 119 F, and take it down the street. I was quickly back once it started climbing over 220 F.

Basically I'm sure my issue is the reserve tank isn't going into the engine, because, well, it's not. It's staying completely full. I do have a hose that should be connected to something. Hopefully you can help out.

Now, the hose on the top part is the overflow and goes to the ground, but the hose on the bottom should feed somewhere. Maybe I have my hoses wrong. Where does that hose go?

Also, under the gas tank, there's a little doohickey that runs down that has a spot for a line to connect to the front and the bottom. Mine has the bottom line missing. That's probably something completely different, but food for thought.

This is my first summer with this bike, and I haven't done any real work on it, so I'm not sure where things should go. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: Is there a radiator cap?! I know the 99 has one, but I was certain this one didn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mind is blown. Thanks! I was hoping to avoid taking off the gas tank, but looks like I'll have to. I did that too many times cleaning the carbs last year and was hoping to never do it again.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
i dunno if youll have to take off the tank but you will obviously need to take the side fairings off. you could probably get away with just propping up the tank.. not real sure but i think on my 954 at least the hose goes between the block and the headers over to the tank...

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I wouldn't think you need to lift the gas tank.
I'm intimately familiar with the coolant system, and yes, that bottom hose needs to be clear (blow thru it) and hooked up to the nipple coming from the radiator neck. Make sure that nipple is not obstructed too.

Clean the overflow bottle out nice and clean, and you can use it to gauge the overall health of your coolant in the future.

Also make sure you have a sound radiator cap.
Personally, I suspect that's your real problem. I think it may not be releasing pressure once it hit's the 1.1 bar.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Any help would be appreciated.

I know I must be overlooking this in my service manual, or not looking in the right place. I'll get to the issue:

I can't get the coolant in my bike. Pretty dumb issue, I'll admit. I put the coolant in my reserve tank, ran the bike idle, and it went and stayed at 210 that afternoon. I thought it was odd, so I turned off the bike. Next day I warm it up to 119 F, and take it down the street. I was quickly back once it started climbing over 220 F.

Basically I'm sure my issue is the reserve tank isn't going into the engine, because, well, it's not. It's staying completely full. I do have a hose that should be connected to something. Hopefully you can help out.

Now, the hose on the top part is the overflow and goes to the ground, but the hose on the bottom should feed somewhere. Maybe I have my hoses wrong. Where does that hose go?

Also, under the gas tank, there's a little doohickey that runs down that has a spot for a line to connect to the front and the bottom. Mine has the bottom line missing. That's probably something completely different, but food for thought.

This is my first summer with this bike, and I haven't done any real work on it, so I'm not sure where things should go. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: Is there a radiator cap?! I know the 99 has one, but I was certain this one didn't.

The reservoir is not part of the sealed cooling system. You fill the system via the radiator cap. Be sure to bleed it as detailed in the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts