Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
What size rod/crankshaft bearings do I need to get for my bike? I just ordered some and I'm a little worried I went with the wrong advice.
You will need the codes from the cases, crank and rods to know what sizes (colours) to order.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I ordered the crank bearings by the code on the crank which is stamped B3. So I'm safe with the crank bearings?
To order them you would need the individual codes which would have been explained by whomever you placed the order with.
The crank has alphanumeric codes for the mains and rod bearings to indicate the OD of the crank. These codes give you the internal dimension of the bearing shells.
The rods and cases have codes that tell you the outside diameter of the bearing shells.
Put them together to get the inside and outside dimensions of each bearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To order them you would need the individual codes which would have been explained by whomever you placed the order with.
The crank has alphanumeric codes for the mains and rod bearings to indicate the OD of the crank. These codes give you the internal dimension of the bearing shells.
The rods and cases have codes that tell you the outside diameter of the bearing shells.
Put them together to get the inside and outside dimensions of each bearing.
I got my info from Ron Ayers I live near Greenville, NC and went to the shop. I was told by them to order the bearings according the B3 on the crank. This seems way more complicated than not only I planned (as I'm doing this myself) but than Ron Ayers led me to believe.

The B3 was good enough for them.

I was skeptical at the time and now that I'm home I'm looking at a couple of extra cranks for this bike and there are different letter/number combinations (F9, GH) and the chart only goes A-C 1-3.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I got my info from Ron Ayers I live near Greenville, NC and went to the shop. I was told by them to order the bearings according the B3 on the crank. This seems way more complicated than not only I planned (as I'm doing this myself) but than Ron Ayers led me to believe.

The B3 was good enough for them.

I was skeptical at the time and now that I'm home I'm looking at a couple of extra cranks for this bike and there are different letter/number combinations (F9, GH) and the chart only goes A-C 1-3.
Perhaps they're assuming all your numbers and letters are B's and 3's?
Any other info stamped into the crank?
Can you find the bearing codes on the rods and cases?
I don't have the '98 manual handy but on the 929/954 the case codes are on the outside of the #1 main bearing.
The crank should have five numbers for the mains and four letters for the rod bearings. Each rod has a corresponding number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps they're assuming all your numbers and letters are B's and 3's?
Any other info stamped into the crank?
Can you find the bearing codes on the rods and cases?
I don't have the '98 manual handy but on the 929/954 the case codes are on the outside of the #1 main bearing.
The crank should have five numbers for the mains and four letters for the rod bearings. Each rod has a corresponding number.
Well maybe I'll be able to use some of the bearings I ordered. I'll grab those numbers off the case and rods tomorrow. I was told all the case bearings were the same for the 98.

Why is this info so hard to get? Were there different size cranks used within the same year?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Well maybe I'll be able to use some of the bearings I ordered. I'll grab those numbers off the case and rods tomorrow. I was told all the case bearings were the same for the 98.

Why is this info so hard to get? Were there different size cranks used within the same year?
The info is all in the manual which I assume you have if you're building the engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.