Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a 99 cbr 900rr i have owned it for acouple years and it has chrome rims on it but here is my problem the front rotors were on backwards and this has never seemed to be an issue...so i needed a new front tire and breaks so i asked the shop to put the roaters the right way and they did but when the put the pads on the rim would seize up and not move so they said they grinded somthing down i think they said the spacer so the rim could move free and it worked but you could still hear the pads binding alittle and the shop said somthings not right in the front end and they have no clue whats wrong so they told me to just sell the bike...now after riding a few houndred miles of riding it seemed fine but now its still binding and now its making a scary klicking noise from the front rim....
i want to fix this prob i don want to sell my bike i love it to much...i dont mind buying the parts or even a used front rim (what do all you think i should do?)
?????????????PLEASE HELP????????

·
Registered
478 Posts
hi, i have a 99 cbr 900rr i have owned it for acouple years and it has chrome rims on it but here is my problem the front rotors were on backwards and this has never seemed to be an issue...so i needed a new front tire and breaks so i asked the shop to put the roaters the right way and they did but when the put the pads on the rim would seize up and not move so they said they grinded somthing down i think they said the spacer so the rim could move free and it worked but you could still hear the pads binding alittle and the shop said somthings not right in the front end and they have no clue whats wrong so they told me to just sell the bike...now after riding a few houndred miles of riding it seemed fine but now its still binding and now its making a scary klicking noise from the front rim....
i want to fix this prob i don want to sell my bike i love it to much...i dont mind buying the parts or even a used front rim (what do all you think i should do?)
Number 1... never ever take it back to that shop.

Number 2... you need to make sure you have the stock wheel, spacers, rotors and that all are in the right place. A new wheel wont help if you have the wrong spacers or rotors.

Where is it binding? Is it free with the calipers off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is free with the calipers off but the calipers are working fine the shop said the wheel appaired to be off centerd or the rotors are wrong... but they were un shur

how can you tell if the spacers, rotors are stock?.....
i pritty shur the wheel is stock it looks just like all the 900 of the same year just chrome

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
As already stated, never ever let that shop touch your bike again.
I would suggest simply putting the discs back as they were.
And replace whatever it was that they butchered.

·
Registered
478 Posts
yes it is free with the calipers off but the calipers are working fine the shop said the wheel appaired to be off centerd or the rotors are wrong... but they were un shur

how can you tell if the spacers, rotors are stock?.....
i pritty shur the wheel is stock it looks just like all the 900 of the same year just chrome
Measure the spacers and post up. also pay attention to which spacer is on which side. Whats the diameter of the wheel? Whats the diameter of the rotors? Is there anything cast into/stamped on the wheel or rotors?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 17" on mine and it uses the stock spacers in the correct order, Maybe the shop and PO didn't install the spacers on the correct sides. The brakes have always had some drag on my bike, About 1 revolution is all it will do
My RR is a 99 as well

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 17" on mine and it uses the stock spacers in the correct order, Maybe the shop and PO didn't install the spacers on the correct sides. The brakes have always had some drag on my bike, About 1 revolution is all it will do
My RR is a 99 as well
im with hondasrule here,i've just gone through the trauma of a 17" conversion,and if the spacers are round the wrong way its puts the wheel off center by about 4.5mm. also the ebc catalog lists one part number for either side,ron ayers lists two numbers,although im not sure what makes them sided. i would also check that the rotors sit perfectly central on the rim,as they must of had the bolt holes elongated to make them fit. if the rotor is slightly off center it wont go through the caliper. and never go near those cowboys again. for the sake of a paddock stand and a decent socket and allen key set you could save some cash,and you KNOW its been done properly because YOU did it. thats my theory,nobody touches my baby!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
im with hondasrule here,i've just gone through the trauma of a 17" conversion,and if the spacers are round the wrong way its puts the wheel off center by about 4.5mm. also the ebc catalog lists one part number for either side,ron ayers lists two numbers,although im not sure what makes them sided. i would also check that the rotors sit perfectly central on the rim,as they must of had the bolt holes elongated to make them fit. if the rotor is slightly off center it wont go through the caliper. and never go near those cowboys again. for the sake of a paddock stand and a decent socket and allen key set you could save some cash,and you KNOW its been done properly because YOU did it. thats my theory,nobody touches my baby!

The different "sides" usually just means they're drilled in mirror image so they look the same on both sides of the wheel. Functionally it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The different "sides" usually just means their drilled in mirror image so they look the same on both sides of the wheel. Functionally it doesn't matter.
wow,the big guns at honda really thought of everything!! i can imagine someone riding past at 150 mph and a passenger in a passed car turning to the driver saying "did those rotors look even to you?" lol! :rotfl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts