Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All!!!,

Ok, I have a '99 900RR, and I was wondering why there is an extra piece of metal that kind of "sits" on top of the swing arm? I have seen it on amost every 900 RR before 2000. Can it be removed? It makes the swing arm look sorta weird. It really makes any after market tire hugger look kinda strange too.

I guess my question is, is that piece vital to the proper functionality of the bike because I would love to remove it!!!

Thanks in Advance!!! :smilebig:

Here are some Pics of what I am talking about:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I kinda like how the swing arm looks with that metal piece. As far as I'm concerned, it's there for support. I wouldn't suggest removing it.

As for a hugger... I have one and it's mounted to that metal piece and looks fine to me. If you were to remove that metal piece, my guess would be that any hugger wouldn't fit and would rub against the tire so much that the hugger couldn't be mounted to the swing arm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guess it will have to stay there then no biggie, just wondered why it was like that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It absolutely has to stay there....it's for maintaining the torsional rigidity of the whole swingarm.

It's kinda like removing your spine and then trying to go for a walk!!

LOL!

If you want to rid the bike of that look, get yourself a 94-97 VFR750 single sided swingarm with a VFR800 rear wheel. Here's my bike:

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have probably been asked a million times, but what tail section are you using on your 900? I am in the process of swapping to a sssa and I want to change out the bulky tail with something like my 1000rr. Yours is pretty sweet. Also, did you have to change anything when you went to a VFR800 wheel rather than the 750 wheel that was used on the sssa?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm a little late as I see some of you guys are supposed to is very old but that's sssa conversion is great I put a 17-inch Honda
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Civic wheel just finished it took it for a spin fast scary as hell so if you have the stock 16 front wheel you might want to think about changing I'm going to this weekend. I see a lot of people using the K2 tail from The GSXR 1000 I'm probably going to try the same thing or a CBR1000RR tail with mods

1 - 9 of 9 Posts