Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1999 CBR900RR Running out of gas?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  __DoPe_ShOw__ 
#1 ·
Hey, I bought a 1999 Honda CRB900RR lastnight and it was running fine. Then I got half way home and it started to spudder like it was running out of gas. But I was on half a tank... I switched to reserve and it still did the same thing. The funny thing was that when I would hit a bump, not a soft one but a hard one, it would act right for a little bit then go back to spuddering... I put gas and it smelled like a toilet... Unfortunatly I didn't realize it till I already pumped the gas into the bike. So, whut could be making it spudder like its doing?

Another problem, the neutral light stays on unless I wiggle the harness that goes to it, could these problems be linked? Cause when its spudders the light flickers... Hmmm.... Any help would be appreciated...

#2 ·
sounds like 2 different problems. i would definately start looking for loose wiring. sounds like you could have some bad fuel. 9 outta 10 if you hit a bump and things start working for a second and not to mention the neutral light stays on there is some sort of electrical issue with the bike.

get a service manual if your taking this on yourself. do you know if the bike was sitting for a long time?

#3 ·
For a few weeks I think... Not that long... I can't see anything shorted with the tank on, but imma take the tank off and look. I hope nothing is screwed...

#6 ·
Ok, well I got the spuddering sorta fixed. I drained the carbs and ran it out of gas like 3 times just to make sure... I think something is still wrong with the carbs, maybe dirty or something. It still does it sometimes when I let off the throttle then hit it again... The neutral light goes off when I mess with the wire. I pushed it all the way on and I thought it fixed it. Not sure if it's the switch or not, $13.44 for the switch is cheap enough, I'll order one... Anyways, I love this bike, I'll post some pictures tomorrow sometime... Anyone got a good black leather Honda jacket for sale? Haha!!

#9 ·
Yea, I got the spuddering issue fixed, but the neutral light still stays on... And it is annoying... But I am almost certain that it is the switch itself...

#11 ·
or a speck of dirt it a carb jet requires strip clean and reassembly - not difficult.

other than that, your eletrics just sound like bad connections or possible broken wires so simple inspect decide which and should be ok to fix.

manuals are available as PDF files through Google but links are not supported on here iirc.

#12 ·
Yea, I think the switch harness is bad, cause sometimes my kickstand switch works and sometimes it doesn't... I'm going to change it... I got the manual in PDF, and I didn't even look at it yet. Then I lost the cushions on the gas tank to the frame... Blah... Ok, time to order small parts!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.