Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently bought a 1999 fireblade and I have noticed a small issue with the bike's idle.
After riding the bike for a while and it gets up in temperature(80-85+ c) the bike will have a lumpy idle and will drop from 1200 rpm to less than 1k rpm intermittently, as if wanting to stall.
It also affects when I take off in first, sometimes it will stall. My first thought was this was a result of me not putting the petcock to "off" when I would park it for the day/week.

After letting the bike run with the petcock "off", burning some of the fuel, I tested again and it still had the same problem.
I think it may be the spark plugs as I'm not sure when they were changed last.

Any ideas? Thanks guys. Bike has 25k miles, was running on 87(I filled up with 91 just now, to see if any difference, no noticeable difference).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention, the bike pops on decel so I suspect it is running lean due to improper adjustment when the bike was rejetted for the D&D exhaust that the PO installed. I will check the pilot screws later this week to see if they are out far enough. Would this explain the strange idle, though? I'm not too experienced with troubleshooting so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi fayablade,

I got a similar problem to yours on my 1998 CBR900RR(W). Among the problem my bike was having were:

1. Unstable ideal between 800-1200 rpm even when the engine have warmed up. Much worst during morning start where my bike would simply stall and dead even with the choke on. :confused:

2. Acceleration to 4k rpm and deceleration to stop was not smooth and feels 'segmented'.

3. I even run on 97 for some time but it doesn't help with the problem. :idunno:

What did I do?

At first was thinking of reconditioning the carb by changing all the O-rings,etc. Later, I inspect the carb and see that the rubber insulator between the carb and cylinder head was leaking air+gas mixture.

The rubber was hard & "dead" as it wasn't flexing anymore. Changed all 4 of then, cleaned and re-sync the carb, and everything runs back perfectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi fayablade,

I got a similar problem to yours on my 1998 CBR900RR(W). Among the problem my bike was having were:

1. Unstable ideal between 800-1200 rpm even when the engine have warmed up. Much worst during morning start where my bike would simply stall and dead even with the choke on. :confused:

2. Acceleration to 4k rpm and deceleration to stop was not smooth and feels 'segmented'.

3. I even run on 97 for some time but it doesn't help with the problem. :idunno:

What did I do?

At first was thinking of reconditioning the carb by changing all the O-rings,etc. Later, I inspect the carb and see that the rubber insulator between the carb and cylinder head was leaking air+gas mixture.

The rubber was hard & "dead" as it wasn't flexing anymore. Changed all 4 of then, cleaned and re-sync the carb, and everything runs back perfectly.

Here's a few pictures of the leaks.. Two of the carb are leaking while the other 2 are ok..

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a few pictures of the leaks.. Two of the carb are leaking while the other 2 are ok..
Oh wow, good catch. When I took the float bowl covers off, the o rings seemed to be ok and I didn't have any leaking.

I messed up one of my carbs though, so I had to order a new set anyway. Couldn't wait to find a deal so I just bit the bullet and am now waiting for them to get here! Congrats on fixing your problem, eddy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts