Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get more specs for which model my bike is but figured title headline was efficient for the moment.

I got as the title says, a 99 Fire Blade 918cc model; shes plenty fast brand new oil change, ( Full Synthetic Oil Change Switch Over ) Brand New Compressed Seal O Ring Chain and Front and Rear Sprocket F: 16 R: 44 , honestly ive driven many types of rockets but for a mechanical fuel system this thing is FAST.

My question is How can I make it faster? ;-) Ive got several ideas of course and I am a skilled driver and back yard mechanic, however this is my first Fire Blade and would rather get a few opinions from some one who has had one of these, on what they would recommend in terms of Boosting its performance.
I mean I could say @#$% it and just dive in head first ( more fun that way ), but id rather not blow it up before I actually get to have a full summer out of it.

So Any thoughts or opinions are sure Welcome :

however please dont just say jet it or change the air box or filter lol I already know these things looking for more technical advice, for instance :

1. Main Jet Size ( original ) to Main jet ( New Size )
2. Low Speed Jet ( Original ) to Low Speed ( New Size )
3. Constant Vacuum Induction Yes? No? Change out Air box for Pods ? what Affects Negative vs Positive? Etc..

Thanks Guys

Dan

·
Registered
191 Posts
im not sure how we might get more power out of this setup ..i have a 96 900rr 918 or 919 cc i dont remember what it said on the engine ....... so i will be watching this tread :popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice I have book marked that viking mod link, that one will definately be given some thought, changing out a stock 120 for a 140 is a huge jump though
Gas Consumption :eek: , but so much power! :evilaugh: anyway thanks for that heads up il be giving that some thought.

Just as a question though, do you know if these bikes came stock with adjustable jet Needles or should I just go ahead and by a dyno jet kit say better safe and not need it, then need it and not have it? :hmm:

Also I have a aftermarket exhaust Hindle aluminum header to Can, only thing is though I think the mechanic who put it on for the previous owner put two resonators into the 2/2/1 exhaust, any thoughts on weather the or not a couple resonators my restrict or give to much back pressure for this mod?

Anyway thanks

Dan

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I can get more specs for which model my bike is but figured title headline was efficient for the moment.

I got as the title says, a 99 Fire Blade 918cc model; shes plenty fast brand new oil change, ( Full Synthetic Oil Change Switch Over ) Brand New Compressed Seal O Ring Chain and Front and Rear Sprocket F: 16 R: 44 , honestly ive driven many types of rockets but for a mechanical fuel system this thing is FAST.

My question is How can I make it faster? ;-) Ive got several ideas of course and I am a skilled driver and back yard mechanic, however this is my first Fire Blade and would rather get a few opinions from some one who has had one of these, on what they would recommend in terms of Boosting its performance.
I mean I could say @#$% it and just dive in head first ( more fun that way ), but id rather not blow it up before I actually get to have a full summer out of it.

So Any thoughts or opinions are sure Welcome :

however please dont just say jet it or change the air box or filter lol I already know these things looking for more technical advice, for instance :

1. Main Jet Size ( original ) to Main jet ( New Size )
2. Low Speed Jet ( Original ) to Low Speed ( New Size )
3. Constant Vacuum Induction Yes? No? Change out Air box for Pods ? what Affects Negative vs Positive? Etc..

Thanks Guys

Dan

You don't get power by jetting. You alter the jetting to optimise the power after you've changed the engine's breathing.
If you're keeping the airbox then stick with OEM filters.
A good race exhaust system is the obvious starting point.
Then cams and racing carbs - flatslides or smoothbores.

What is constant vacuum induction?

Keep in mind though that by far the most cost effective way to make any bike faster is to improve your own ability. Get on the track and learn to ride it :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Very nice I have book marked that viking mod link, that one will definately be given some thought, changing out a stock 120 for a 140 is a huge jump though
Gas Consumption :eek: , but so much power! :evilaugh: anyway thanks for that heads up il be giving that some thought.

Just as a question though, do you know if these bikes came stock with adjustable jet Needles or should I just go ahead and by a dyno jet kit say better safe and not need it, then need it and not have it? :hmm:

Also I have a aftermarket exhaust Hindle aluminum header to Can, only thing is though I think the mechanic who put it on for the previous owner put two resonators into the 2/2/1 exhaust, any thoughts on weather the or not a couple resonators my restrict or give to much back pressure for this mod?

Anyway thanks

Dan
No, the needles are not adjustable. You can lean them with thin washers though.

You have aluminium headers?
I think by "resonators" you are referring to the bulges in the OEM headers?
Perhaps a picture might be clearer?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know you just changed the sprockets, but you should really consider 15/45 for the front and rear. The bike becomes a ROCKET. Seriously, night and day difference. You will love the low end on it.

For the engine you can get a full exhaust system and then re-jet it/tune it on the dyno. After exhaust/sprockets/viking mod you can look at a small nitrous shot or a turbo :eek: :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts