Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I Have a 1999 RRX which is not running. It has been stored for 5 years. The bike is only firing on two cylinders 1 and 4.... 2 and 3 are cold So I suspected the left hand coil pack. I have replaced the coils done the checks in the Haynes manual. They seem fine. I have checked the plugs for spark. The spark seems very weak. The bike will not run, and cuts out as soon I try and rev her...pulse generator tests good. Throttle sensor tests good. Fitted new plugs. Any body else had this issue?? I am considering replacing the CDI unit???

I have re—built the carbs (twice!!!)

I still think I have a fuel issue, vacuum part of the carbs possibly??

please help, thank you so much

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,086 Posts
Might be a coincidence that it’s 2/3 that’s not firing. Have you tried running it no airbox, no tank while using a drop tank?

That will allow easier access to certain components while testing.

Have you done a compression check? Should all be around 170psi +-no more than 10%.

HOW have you rebuilt the carbs? Like my picture?I would almost bet my life it’s not the CDI. Never a complaint on here or elsewhere that they fail.

Try blasting starting fluid in the butterflies and see if they come to life. If they do, it’s a fuel problem.

Also, I provided a link to my 99 after a refresh and rebuild from 4 years sitting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be a coincidence that it’s 2/3 that’s not firing. Have you tried running it no airbox, no tank while using a drop tank?

That will allow easier access to certain components while testing.

Have you done a compression check? Should all be around 170psi +-no more than 10%.

HOW have you rebuilt the carbs? Like my picture?I would almost bet my life it’s not the CDI. Never a complaint on here or elsewhere that they fail.

Try blasting starting fluid in the butterflies and see if they come to life. If they do, it’s a fuel problem.

Also, I provided a link to my 99 after a refresh and rebuild from 4 years sitting.

View attachment 108511

Yes mate compression test good, blast the butterflies with fuel and it Runs (roughly). So I’m convinced It’s fuel. Am stripping the carbs and cleaning again (Third time...) do you think I need to separate them ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes mate compression test good, blast the butterflies with fuel and it Runs (roughly). So I’m convinced It’s fuel. Am stripping the carbs and cleaning again (Third time...) do you think I need to separate them ??

Just played with her again. Noticed that it runs with air box on but sound like running on 3 cylinders. Looks like the air box has to be on for it to run

·
8,086 Posts
Runs badly with the air box on. N ever heard of a bike that HAS to have the air box on to run. ??
Putting the air box on actually richens (chokes) the mixture a bit, so that would suggest there is a clogged port somewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Putting the air box on actually richens (chokes) the mixture a bit, so that would suggest there is a clogged port somewhere.
thanks Ian, so would you advise Taking the the carbs off again and completely stripping/splitting And cleaning them? It will run on tick over now but sounds like 3 cylinders. Adjusting one of the carb balancing screws seems to have no effect on the running at all, there is a marked difference adjusting the other two. Does this follow what you say??

thanks so much for advice.

·
8,086 Posts
The balancing screws only change the angle of the butterflies as they relate to #3, which moves them all in sync to the idle adjustment knob. So no, that shouldn’t do anything.

Yes, 5 years sitting is a really long time. There are ports deep inside the carb bodies that are as narrow as a single strand of stranded copper wire, so the blow out with just a cleaner sometimes isn’t effective enough. Ultrasonic bathing is the best recourse for that, with each individual carb being able to jutter around in the solution.

You shouldn’t be turning the synchronization screws anyway unless you have vacuum gauges set up to see each individual cylinder’s reading. They need to be within a certain spec in relation to #3. Something you will certainly need to do if you separate the bodies. Also, make sure the filter screen inside the tank is free if any small debris. The slightest junk from the tank that gets by that screen will have you continually pulling your hair out chasing clogged carb passageways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so, going to pull the carbs off again, separate and try an ultrasonic bathe. was going to balance the carbs anyway. I think there may be some ‘gunk’ deep down going by what you say. Will post a video of it running at the moment. Then after, Thanks so much again. I am Extremely grateful for the advice, its been a real head scratch......100% convinced its the carbs.
ps filter screen has been changed, fresh fuel all the way.

·
8,086 Posts
There is one extremely small hole that will require a single strand of an 18 gauge stranded wire to clear. That port is at the top of the brass "shaft" that is not removable in the float bowl. It usually affects the idle and wide open throttle. I'm pretty sure you'll never know the difference if you scared a port or jet opening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great thanks Ian I will loo
There is one extremely small hole that will require a single strand of an 18 gauge stranded wire to clear. That port is at the top of the brass "shaft" that is not removable in the float bowl. It usually affects the idle and wide open throttle. I'm pretty sure you'll never know the difference if you scared a port or jet opening.
Great thanks Ian I will look for it. On holiday now for a week, but will strip when I get back and keep in touch. Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts