Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first fireblade today, 1999. has 11,000 miles on it. From what the guy I bought it off of told me, it hadnt been driven for 2 years. Started but not driven. Anyway, got it home and gave it a once over, changed oil, and put a new battery in it. It cranked with no fire 2 or 3 times then started up. It ran for about 5 mins. Then stalled, couldnt get it started again.

Now I'm pretty well versed with mechanical stuff so I checked the carbs and they looked pretty clean, seems to me like the bike just flooded out. I'm gonna pick up some new plugs for it tomorrow.

Any other suggestions or comon issues with these bikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
Did you tear carbs down to look at them or just give them the once over? If it's been sitting for that long and not driven, they are probably going to need cleaning. Starting bike every now and then won't keep your carbs clean. It might keep pilot jets from clogging but that's about it. If nothing else, I'd run some Seafoam through them if it does run after the plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First check for spark. U can take ur plugs out and clean them so there is no real necessity to go and buy new ones. Use a wire brush lightly or carb cleaner. If you have spark then check for fuel. If no spark look at loose connections at coils or possibly bad coils. Just start basic. Far too many times people start buying stuff they dont need. Properly diagnose it before spending money. Ive worked on bikes and cars for 8 years and replacing stuff should always be the last resort. Post what u find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I pulled all 4 plugs and they were wet and had carbon on them so I got new ones cus they are cheap, Im gonna drain the tank and try fresh gas and seafoam. Also how much slack in the chain is accepetable?

·
Registered
478 Posts
First check for spark. U can take ur plugs out and clean them so there is no real necessity to go and buy new ones. Use a wire brush lightly or carb cleaner. If you have spark then check for fuel. If no spark look at loose connections at coils or possibly bad coils. Just start basic. Far too many times people start buying stuff they dont need. Properly diagnose it before spending money. Ive worked on bikes and cars for 8 years and replacing stuff should always be the last resort. Post what u find.
My experience with cbr engines is if its worth pulling the plugs its worth replacing them. once fouled theyre never the same.

In terms of chain slack i look for about 1.25 in movement midway between the sprockets with the bike on the ground

·
Registered
342 Posts
... I'd run some Seafoam through them if it does run after the plugs.
:plus1: on the Seafoam..

also, these bikes are known for being next to impossible to start if the plugs get fouled. i bet it will fire right up after you get the new plugs in.

on top of draining out the old fuel for new fuel and the plugs, i would also do a oil/oil filter change, new air filter, rad flush (make sure you use non silicate containing antifreeze when you refill). giving the entire bike a once over wouldn't hurt either. bringing back a bike from 2 years of storage typically isnt that hard to do assuming it was kept indoors, but its allways a good idea to start with fresh fluids so you at least know where everything is at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the place I ordered the plugs from got the wrong ones, so i cleaned the old ones and got it to run, ran a gallon of gas and seafoam thru it. Had it idling about 1200? Let it sit for a day and it was real hard starting again. Finally got it going but wouldnt run off the choke anything less than 2K it wanted to stall. Now im back to square one, all I get is massive loud backfiring Ithink the plugs are junk? Am I going in the right direction?

·
Registered
554 Posts
If it really has been sitting for 2 years, I'd bet you are going to have to break down and give them a GOOD cleaning. Not just remove pilot/main jets and spray them off...I mean a good cleaning. That's just too long for even Seafoam to clean out. I'm surprised your slides aren't stuck. I just cleaned a set for a guy in FL and all the slides were welded shut and 3 out of 4 pilots clogged..it was a mess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New Plugs did the trick, started up and ran rough for 2-3 mins, prolly burning off all the gas in the exhaust, after that runs like a charm. My idle is set at around 1500 RPM does that sound about right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.