Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the -1 front and 128hp to the wheel I am a little scared to twist the throttle hard in 1st. before the -1 front sprocket I played a little with clutching small wheelies but I am not comfortable with the idea of the front coming up on me under throttle. this may have to do with my riding position. I feel like i'm going to fly off the back of the bike. I don't want to grip the handle bars too hard or lock my arms because I feel that could cause problems should the steering get too light.

should I forget this fear and just lock my arms and suck it up? locking my arms is the only way i can not feel like I'm going to get thrown off the back of the bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dosn't help. too slick still slide back on the bike which freaks me out. I'm only 5"7 so I sit right up on the tank. I have tried to grip the tank with my leggs but I still slide back. if it wasn't for the sliding I probably wouldn't be so afraid of getting on it in 1st.

maybe some tank pads?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be ok with it coming up as long as I don't feel like I'm going to get tossed off the back. honestly i feel like a bit of a noob in that I have been riding for over 8 years and own a literbike and still can't do a wheelie. but thats not what this thread is about. I just want to know the best way not to feel like I'm going to get tossed

·
Registered
221 Posts
idk about locking your arms... sounds like a recipe for disasterous starts... do you have any pics of your start? I think this is a riding position issue... but... a lot of guys know way more than me.... (only been racing for 4 years)...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not talking about starts I'm talking about accelerating while already moving in 1st. like I pull out onto a road and want to get on it but I can only go half throttle because I get flung back in my seat by the acceleration.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you're gripping the tank and still sliding you are 1) not gripping it hard enough and 2) have a bad riding posture

It's hard to tell without seeing it..

Where are your feet on the pegs?
Is there a slight bend in your arms or are you reaching?
Do you feel a lot of feedback when coming out of the turn from the front?

The bike may pull up but I wouldn't freak out... if you do... simply slow it down until you are ready..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slight bend in my arms. if I lock my arms i sit up more than normal. I have been playing around with foot placment. I know that I am supposed to put the balls of my feet on the pegs but that dosn't always feel the best to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just accel. I am speaking of the hard acceleration in 1st gear. 2nd gear is pretty crazy as I'm sure you know but its managable while in 1st the forces are just too great and I don't feel comfortable going to more than half throttle. do i need to tuck down like I usualy do in 2nd when I accel hard?

I am only talking about strait lines. I don't ever get on it in 1st coming out of a corner i'm too chicken. I want to feel comfortable enough to get full accel potental out of first and yes maybe even throttle wheelie but thats not the main goal here.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I've been riding for years on end and still don't know how to wheelie - never found the need to either.

Have a look at getting some Stomp Grip (its a gell type layer which can be stuck on the side of your tank to help with grip)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ummmmm.... can you adjust the pegs to a position that is further back? It sounds like you are too upright.

yes i am too upright. I think that if the pegs where a little further back that might help but I don't think stock 929 pegs are adjustable. maybe I should be tucking down more? I am basicly im my standard upright position that I am usualy in when I am riding below 50. do I really need to tuck down?

I just ordered some techspec grips. a little pricy but i wanted good ones

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.