Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a 150 mile ride on sunday, 20 bikes, country rodes, but alot of new people I did not know. So some of the regulars had a little pep talk before we left,, no wheelies in or in front of the group, only behind the group. No stoppies in front, and no passing on the right, cool. So we are on the back leg of the run and there was an 11 mile strait away on this rode, so me and a few other liter bikes are gettin on it and we leave the group, figuring we will wait for them at the next planned stop. (definition of group) 600's, girls, and greenhorns. So we get to the stop and like 5 minutes goes by and no group,, 10 minutes go by and we are all saying oh #### this is not good, and about then a truck pulls up and says the group is back about 4 miles and some one was down,,, Great, so we haul back down their and apperently one of the girls got to close to the edge and went off the shoulder ,, she did not crash, she picked a line and rode it out . But some guy on a f4i was looking back to see what was happening and he went off the shoulder and instead of diving off and riding parallel to the road like the girl he tried to brute force it back up and got pitched,, bike flipped, the front was cracked and the windscreen was broke off the frame saver was worn and side fairing was badly scuffed. Fire truck showed up first and police after they wanted to take him to ER, he was up and around but maybe fractured shoulder and road rashed knees and NO jacket. luckily he had some friends there and they were going to get his bike home for him. I did not see it but I guess it was a cluster phuck when eveyone in the group was stopping and turning around, from what was said another one was slowly turning around half on half off the road, the back tire spun out on the shoulder and he fell , another went to far off the road and got stuck in the mud.. Some days it pays to be in the lead group

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
That sure puts the damper on a nice ride. Personally, I won't ride with that many. I think that about 4-6 is about the number of people to keep it safe. I've also gotten to the point where I won't ride with people who's skills I either don't know, or am uncomfortable with. Didn't used to be that way, but after seeing and putting up with too much annoying stuff/accidents waiting to happen, I've gotten picky about my riding buddies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the sunday before that it was 30 bikes, but only a 30 mile ride.. we all met at the gas station that has the 110 octane feul and I wish I had my camera, it was quite a sight to see the many sport bikes. This is a boring town I live in and alot of people are finding out about where we meet on sunday mornings. time to change spots.

·
Registered
700 Posts
HondaGalToo : That sure puts the damper on a nice ride.  Personally, I won't ride with that many.  I think that about 4-6 is about the number of people to keep it safe.  I've also gotten to the point where I won't ride with people who's skills I either don't know, or am uncomfortable with.  Didn't used to be that way, but after seeing and putting up with too much annoying stuff/accidents waiting to happen, I've gotten picky about my riding buddies.
I agree 100%... I learned the hard way in Dallas. I hooked up with a group once for a SMR and it was a disaster. I steer away from rides larger than 5-6 riders. Especially groups where the rules include 'wheelies or stoppies only in the back'.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Was that in Clermont? I know the groups tend to get up there in numbers. Seems like more and more every week.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Same here. The last two times I went out in a large group, people got stupid and got hurt. No thanks, not my scene.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
4 is a good amount. The last ride we had three guys that wanted to tag along taking the group to 7. I told them to ride at there own pace. Me and the three guys I was riding with made it to the Rock Store. I thought they might had stoped at the lookout so we go back up the hill to get this guys 03 R1 off the side of the road. Busted wheel

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've ridden with a regular group of 12 or so a few times with no incidents. In their e-mail list I read that regularly someone goes down on the group rides. Usually someone gets sucked into a turn beyond their own and doesn't make it or gets taken out by debris. The rides I've been on have been pretty good and spread out for the most part. I'm ok for the big groups since I tend to either suck hind tit or be very near the front. Don't like middle of the pack.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Why I have been basically a solo rider most of my life. Back in late 40s & early 50s a few of us would ride in groups of 3 to 6 riders. ALL knowing each others riding styles & we stayed WELL apart & enough to allow several cages to get in between each of the riders. None of us in our group went down in those yrs ---besides most rode solo anyway or possibly just twos.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Chain : Three to five total is about my personal comfort limit as well.
Do the evil voices in your head count as one of the group?

·
Registered
682 Posts
By the way in those days we were never worried about anyone crashing, but mainly of bikes running into mechanical trouble so being the better rider I basically ran 'tail-end-charlie' & in that way I could scoot up to lead rider & signal we had a bike break-down & then all would head back to give a helping hand & yes there was always a tow-rope to do the job if the big-end had failed or such. Always a first aid kit, but never used bar a band-aid or two. All of us would have a sprarkplug spanner down one boot top or in the tool box & all carrying extra KLG or Lodge plugs so that was never a problem (rider/owner would have his own as well) & all carried extra tools (bar those that came with the bike) master chain links, lengths of fresh chain, chin link cutter, spare throttle, clutch, & brake cables in WWII surplus web bags hung around our side plus two or more of us were certified m/c mechanics & whizzes at patching innertubes (usually longer & better tyre evers taped onto some part of the bike)---bikes in those days CARRIED a hand air pump while a few of us had small compressed air bottles on our bikes from experience or Enduros.
What a differnce to these days!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Baketech : Quote (Chain @ July 28 2003, 1:56pm)Three to five total is about my personal comfort limit as well.
Do the evil voices in your head count as one of the group?
No, but the evil little Chihuahua who's always nipping at my heels does.

That'd be YOU of course, my nemesis.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I hate being the guy at the front in a pack. It always seems somebody thinks it would be cool to pass the guy on the rc51. My favorite was a kid that decided to do a fly by as I was setting up for a knee slide corner. All of a sudden I hear a bike passing with a head of steam as we are about to enter the corner. I saw nothing but red. Red as in, red brake lights, red and black 954 (which was my buddy on my 954) and the red in my eyes as I was thinking of the ass kicking he had coming. thank god for wide roads and paved shoulders. That was the last time he passed me on that ride. Also the last time he'll ride my 954.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I never ride with people that I don't know, or at least am not familiar with their riding styles not to mention their skill level. The bigger the group, the greater the chance of having an accident not to mention getting unwanted attention from the red and blues.
Did a ride somewhat similar to this but with a few less people. A guy towards the back whom did not have a jacket on who claimed that he knew how to ride and had been riding for two years, managed to go down. We went back to see what happened. He went down in a corner that NO ONE should have gone down in. He claimed that he just couldn't make it through the corner. When asked if he knew what counter-steering was, his reply was 'Countersteering, what's that?' That's when we told him to go back home because he was a danger to the rest of us. You can't always believe what a rider says about their riding skills.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I'm with the general concensus too. Anything above 6 is too much. Used to ride in packs of 30-40, sometimes more on a regular basis. It got too be too much, everyone was showing off, got nearly clipped several times.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The first ride of the year, I hooked up with 40-50 other riders from another board. Never again. Some one broke down. We all waited while he figured out what to do. 2 hours later the small group I was with( 3 others) took off. I have been on poker runs with well over a hundred people. YIKES!! After the second guy on a Harley shot up through the gut. I split. Now I ride with as small of a group as I want to put together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts