Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 929 with 26xxx miles, on it. runs fine, but recently it has been shifting kind of hard. mostly just first to second. you really have to slam it up for it to engage. and it clunks really hard when putting it in first. before i tear it all apart, i just wanted to know if there is a common fix. thanks

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i have a 2000 929 with 26xxx miles, on it. runs fine, but recently it has been shifting kind of hard. mostly just first to second. you really have to slam it up for it to engage. and it clunks really hard when putting it in first. before i tear it all apart, i just wanted to know if there is a common fix. thanks

Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable?

·
Registered
53 Posts
hate to bring up an old post.. but i've been searching this and wondering the same. I bought my 929 a couple months ago and have been experiencing hard shifts from 1st-2nd as well. Sometimes, i won't even hit second but will go to neutral and have to "click" up again. Going down into first at idle has a very violent "clunk" too. 2nd- 3rd -4th and so on are extremely smooth its just 1st and second. My clutch also feels fine and has been recently adjusted and chain lubed and checked for free play.

also, i've been experimenting with shifting without clutch (after second gear) my bike feels smoother doing it like this then using a clutch but is this harder for my gears or actually better????

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2001 929 and it shifts pretty good, however I seem to remember that some time back they had a recall for the outer clutch cage. I didnt have it done but a friend did. Again, not sure why it was done.
Also, I seem to of heard something about the shift mechanism, the part that rotates the shift drum being in need of some clean up. You might want to take the clutch cover off when you have some time and going through that section carefully. Check the clutch plates, break the glaze or replace them etc.
Sorry to be so vague, but you might want to check service bulletins etc.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
When was the last oil change, and what oil did you use? Sometimes it can make all the difference. Check the simple things before disassembling the bike. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just changed the oil when i did a full system flush. Used a full synth Mobil 1 20W50. It was shifting like this prior to the oil change also so that shouldnt be the problem.. like I said its just between 1st and 2nd and sometimes going back too first also i guess.

Do the rest of these bikes shift really smooth between 1 and 2, or do yours all need a little more "umph" to get it in and I'm just not used to it??? :idunno:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My '00 929 shifts like silk. In all honesty, it's the smoothest box I've ever used. It's had the recall done on it, yeah?

·
Registered
993 Posts
If I had a dollar for every thread started about this topic... (jk)

It's a notorious signature with CBRs that they have clunky transmissions, especially 1st to 2nd shifts... as long as it isn't droping out of gear or mis-shifting you're okay:)

If you still don't like it you can get a Factory pro shift kit and take care of the problem:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
My '00 929 shifts like silk. In all honesty, it's the smoothest box I've ever used. It's had the recall done on it, yeah?

What is this recall? And how do I tell? I've only had this bike for 2 months, its an 00 with 14,500 km on it so its barely broke in... Another 1 or 2k ill be changing the oil again so I'll look if this "recall" you speak of has been done- if one can tell....

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Best way is to either call Honda Canada themselves, or call your nearest dealership and give them your vin. There was a recall for the clutch basket (IIRC) - there's also another for the front forks so ask about that one as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ignore what all these people are saying to eliminate the clunk from 1st to 2nd shift at 7000 rpm and dont shift down to 1st until completely stopped...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ignore what all these people are saying to eliminate the clunk from 1st to 2nd shift at 7000 rpm and dont shift down to 1st until completely stopped...

You can shift gears at any rpm you like, it doesn't have to be 7000rpm.
You can also shift down to first at any speed under 130kph with stock gearing.
If you can't then there is probably something wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts