Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i’m no expert at all on bikes & wont pretend i am...i been asking & researching around but haven’t seen anybody with my problem..
got the bike after it sat for a few years...new battery & it started right up...(previous owner took great care of it)..rode it for about 150miles (if that!), then i had to take a 9month vacation..then the bike just wouldn’t turn on..had power & everything came on! but when i pressed the start button, the bike would completely shut off until i released the button..couldn’t jump it, but didn’t try to pop start it neither..then 1 day it just started!
rode it 1 day (about 200miles) & towards the ride home, it just shut off! power came back but it just wouldn’t turnover..
new stator...rectifier...starter...starter solenoid (but the new solenoid when connected would automatically try starting the bike without the key..🤷🏾‍♂️)...
any suggestions to check before i try getting a new motor? i do hear a clicking sound near battery, but just can’t figure out what i’m hearing

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,616 Posts
Hi and welcome,
It doesn't sound like a "motor issue", so cool the engines on getting a new motor. The engine only does what it's told to do by all the electronics, especially what you're describing. It sounds like you have a short either in your start button, your wire harness, or a bad ground somewhere. Do you have any pictures of the old and new starter solenoids?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the new solenoid is in my hand...a friend of mines (who’s a lil better at bikes than myself..) said it was faulty (thnx ebay!)..he said so because it would try starting the motor just from connection..
of course this theory gives me more questions

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,616 Posts
I'll be honest, I was hoping to see something jump out at me, but I don't. There is a ground block on these bikes. It's basically a dead end connector that has a lot of ground wires that terminate in it. It can overheat, melt, and create havoc on the electrical system. There are other members here that are more knowledgeable about it than I am. Hopefully they will ring in.

There are other threads here that have pictures of it. I think on the 929 its up behind the speedo somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be honest, I was hoping to see something jump out at me, but I don't. There is a ground block on these bikes. It's basically a dead end connector that has a lot of ground wires that terminate in it. It can overheat, melt, and create havoc on the electrical system. There are other members here that are more knowledgeable about it than I am. Hopefully they will ring in.

There are other threads here that have pictures of it. I think on the 929 its up behind the speedo somewhere.
thnx for what u have said...i’m gonna get the electric checked first..i’ve heard of there being lots of problems wit these bikes, but i loved it when it did ride. so i’m tryna stick with it

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
if the battery is good and the lights all dim when you try and start it it sounds like something is drawing a lot of current, which can only be the starter motor. perhaps sometimes it has seized in one position, but some time its ok, had this with a Yamaha fuel pump, sometime it ran sometime it didn't. The new solenoid does sound iffy so perhaps revert to the original. Earths are worth checking but there is a main battery earth right is to the motor and then other systems earth off this (lots of green wires at the rear of the motor for example).

The bad earth connections in the loom (and 12v feed in the loom) and connections round the speedo tend to stop it running/starting but the motor will still turn over - you just tend to get no spark/fuel/fuel-pump/or all 3! The injectors and coils all get 12v through the loom and earth through the ECU so its usually to power not earth that is the issue. With these faults the motor will still crank though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts