Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 CBR600 -New to the blog. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. I haven't ridden my bike for a couple of weeks and had a dead battery. I have a tender and charged the battery up. Did this a couple of times with no problems when I haven't ridden in a while. When I went back to put the battery back on, I accidentally connected the battery wires to the wrong terminals. Stupid, DUMB - I know! There was a small spark. I reconnect the terminals to the right battery poles and this time - nothing - key is in, button is on -nothing. I looked on the forum and it said some people with battery issues were hearing a clicking but I don't. So 1) I can't find the 30amp fuse that is supposed to be on the start relay. (I think that I saw a good picture of it so I'm going to check again tonight.- any good pics or links to a pic to assist would also help) But if it isn't the battery and it's not the 30 amp. fuse. What would you do next in the process of elimination of what I stupidly did wrong. Can you give me a list of items you would check/change. I haven't bought a new battery yet? could that be it..the tender charger has a green light that tells me its fully charged. Thank u in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
they have a main starter fuse on the starter solanoid (follow red lead from the battery) think its covered with a pink cap on this model, or fuse is visible when wiring connector is removed. But most likley to be the main fuse , located in your fuse box, your handbook will show you the location, normally under the seat close to the battery in a black box or under right hand ,top fairing ..approx below your right hand handlebar ...will be marked FUSES .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick response. I checked the fuse box when all this happened (still can't believe I made such a stupid mistake!!arrrgghh) but I believe it has only 10amp fuses in the fuse box. At that time I didn't know about the 30amp fuse in the starter relay. I wasn't looking for it then so I hope it is on the starter relay. Tonight, I will trace the red line from battery to starter relay again for the fuse. I hope this is the problem! Any other items to check - please keep it coming. Also any good place to purchase my shop manual for my bike? any particular publisher you like? Many Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can buy a shop manual , but ebay has people selling most bike manuals on CD,s for just a few dollars and i have found them to be very good and cost affective

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone. It was the 30amp fuse. I couldn't find it the 30 amp fuse at first. It is under the connector of the starter relay (male/female connection of the stater relay)The way I was able to get to this since at first I couldn't get a good grip of the connector was to: - 1) was to have the battery out of the bike and 2) raise the black lid to the battery upwards to allow my hand to get a good grip. Firmly press the sides of the male connector - both sides of the starter relay connector allows the tabs to clear the plastic female hinges. 3) Get a good grip of the connector tabs and pull up (don't pull by the wires). This exposed the 30amp fuse. 4) Pulled the fuse- I checked the fuse in the light and it had it's connections burnt apart 5) Replaced with new fuse 6)Put back the starter connector unto the starter realy 7) Put back on the recharged battery. I also bought the shop manual online for 10 bucks - helped me to confirm the location of the fuse since I couldn't see the fuse till the connector was off the starter relay. Thanks Again everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts