Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has not ran for over a year. During this time I have cleaned the carbs so they should be fresh. I got new fuel in it and if I spray starter fluid into the carbs it starts for a bit. Also has new plugs installed if it does not start tomorrow then I will pull them and see if they are loking good

I would like some ideas on diagnosis because cranking it until the battery is low is clearly not healthy. I know that it is getting air, fuel and spark. The next thing I will do tomorrow is test the fuel pump to make sure the filter is not blocking anything.

Any other ideas or recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
if you say it starts when you spray starter fluid in it, then most likely it's a fuel related issue. possibly fuel pump or a carb related issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the carbs are leaking/the cylinders are not getting the right amount of fuel...

When I cleaned the carbs I reused the gaskets and they are leaking. The arizona weather may have some part in the dry gaskets as well. Guess I need to order the carb kit from honda and try again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anything unplugged from the wiring harness? I had that problem and it ended up being a sensor of sumsort unplugged. Went through all the trouble cleaning the Sh!t out of the carbs, spraying starter fluid, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you test the fuel pump?
First you want to see if the pump is priming when you turn the key to "on."
In my case it was not so i tested the fuel pump relay located in the undertail mounted on the subframe. Basically all you do is short two terminals of the relay and after I did this my fuel pump magically worked...knda wierd but that is how these bikes are sometimes

This is from the service manual which is downloadable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts