Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of searching, seems charging issues are fairly common.
No mention of water ingress being a possible cause though?

Just spent a couple of days in Wales, blasting round the superb Roads there.

On the way home this morning, hit a Biblical Downpour, lasted around 10 minute before settling down to a heavy shower.

Dash went 'dead', no Tacho, no Display, but the Engine kept on singing like the previous half hour howling through the empty Valleys.
After 3 or 4 miles, it started misfiring, then died completely a few seconds later.
Switched off, then on again, and the Dash came to life again.
Starter Solenoid buzzed feebly when Starter Button pressed.

Managed to bump-start it, and it ran OK again for another couple of miles, but with the Dash blank again.
Died again, and I just managed to coast into a Service Station in Builth Wells.

Local recovery arrived after an hour (via the AA), and tested the Fuses under the Seat, all OK.
Jump-started it, it ran fine, but no voltage getting to the Battery.

Is it likely the downpour caused it, or could it just be a coincidence?
Is there a 'usual suspect' Connector Block that's prone to water getting in, or the Alternator itself?

What about Fuses, is there a 'main' Fuse for the Charging Circuit, away from the under-seat ones?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
the stator is inside the engine cover LH side so it wont get water in there, and its hot too. I've had the dash go bonkers in heavy rain in Spain but lit up like a Xmas tree!! if its not charging I'd go down the normal route, and the rain is likely to be a red herring - not puns intended. There is no specific charging fuse; there is a main fuse (30A iirc) and various ones for specific circuit - see the wiring diagram and all will be revealed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the stator is inside the engine cover LH side so it wont get water in there, and its hot too. I've had the dash go bonkers in heavy rain in Spain but lit up like a Xmas tree!! if its not charging I'd go down the normal route, and the rain is likely to be a red herring - not puns intended. There is no specific charging fuse; there is a main fuse (30A iirc) and various ones for specific circuit - see the wiring diagram and all will be revealed!
Thanks MH.
I guess it could be a coincidence.
I'll have a look at it when I get back from Portugal.
Rode down from the UK on my Stelvio, 1900km in two days.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
That's some impressive miles in 2-days!! (or km's if you like). We covered 2,750km in France (1,750 miles) the week before last but took us a week, with stops for nice lunches and to admire the scenery! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts