Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just got a 2001 929rr in a box and put it together. When I try and start it the motor turns over and I have compression. When I do a Spark test there is nothing. The grounds are connected. Anybody have any words of wisdome for me. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does the back angle sensor look like. If the stand switch was bad would'nt that keep it from turning over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last thing I did was traced all ground wires back to the ECM and made sure that the ground was good. I turns over like it would start if it could get a spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it off of ebay and it was in pieces. The only thing togeather was the engine. The wiring harness, frame, wheels, were all seperate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked and my bank angle sensor is under the front seat mount. Or are there two? I don't have one infront of the bike.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Yes, the bank angle sensor is under the front seat on the 929.
Do you have a service manual? You can check the wire harness for general questions here: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0384/wire_harness_1/wire_harness_1.cfm?man=ho&groupid=5410&parent=5320
It shows how it should be assembled. Take a look through the rest of the parts fiche for hints.
Maybe start with the main fuse, fuel cutoff relay or the previously mentioned switches. Red stop switch set to run? Kickstand down, bike in neutral? Just go back to basics.
Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned on? If not, check the fuel pump relay or fuse. Hell, check all the fuses just for kicks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would a bad ecm keep it from getting spark? I am going to get a meter tomorrow and test the peak voltage. Does anbody know where I can get the correct type of meter

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is what the manual says to look for if you arent getting any spark.
-Faulty Plugs
-Faulty ECM
-Broken or shorted spark plug wire
-Faulty ignition switch
-Faulty ignition pulse generator
-Faulty stop start switch
-Loose or disconnected ignition wires

Because you are getting the motor to turn over (correct?). I can tell you its not the ignition switch or the start stop switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello I checked the wires and they are ok. I am going to try and test the ignition pulse generator today. I get battery voltage at the coil with the ingnition on and the run switch on. When I crank it over the voltage drops to 11-12volts from 14. It does not peak out at 100v like it is supose to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tested everything that I can. I think that the ecm is bad. Now I have to find and get a reliable used one. Waiting to see if that is it really sucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
erhunter said:
I tested everything that I can. I think that the ecm is bad. Now I have to find and get a reliable used one. Waiting to see if that is it really sucks.

This is the exact problem I am having with my 954 motor. I am begining to believe it is a bad ECM also :thumbd: please let me know what you find out, cause I am at a loss also :idunno:

Bigger.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I was having similar issues with my 929. Eventually found that the Power Commander 3R is faulty and not allowing the bike to start. Waiting to see if they will replace for no cost. Only 1 1/2 old.

If you don't have a PC, I'd double check the ignition pulse generator wires (red connector leading to inside of clutch cover). Also, maybe check the cam pulse generator (left side of bike when sitting on bike, goes into head- upper left).

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I put my clutch cover back on my 929 I put the cam pulse generator on backwards like a dumb ass ...easy to do....and it turned over but no spark...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts