Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. I have a 929rr. I filled it up about 4 days ago, the next day it bogged down on me, pulled over and it ran fine the rest of the way home. Next morning when i started it, it sounded like it was not running on all cylinders. Left it alone until later that day then it would'nt turn over at all. It doesn't sound like it's getting any fuel. No problems with the bike before this. Any suggestions on where to start looking, tests to run; would be awesome. I would rather try to fix it myself, before putting it in the shop. I don't have a manual either.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
New here. I have a 929rr. I filled it up about 4 days ago, the next day it bogged down on me, pulled over and it ran fine the rest of the way home. Next morning when i started it, it sounded like it was not running on all cylinders. Left it alone until later that day then it would'nt turn over at all. It doesn't sound like it's getting any fuel. No problems with the bike before this. Any suggestions on where to start looking, tests to run; would be awesome. I would rather try to fix it myself, before putting it in the shop. I don't have a manual either.

Any rust or water in the tank?
When you say it won't turn over you mean the starter motor won't turn the engine over?
Have you checked your battery voltage?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have not checked the FPR yet, i will look up how to do that. (any tips for a good "how to" site?
Theres no rust or water in the tank. And yes, the starter is going but no fire from the engine. Battery is brand new and voltage is good.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i have not checked the FPR yet, i will look up how to do that. (any tips for a good "how to" site?
Theres no rust or water in the tank. And yes, the starter is going but no fire from the engine. Battery is brand new and voltage is good.

Pull the vacuum line off the FPR, turn the ignition on to prime the pump and ensure no fuel comes out the vacuum side of the FPR. You don't need a how-to site as everything you need to know is already in the workshop manual.
Is the battery brand new because it failed or because the bike is not charging it?
Anything been happening to the bike in the last few weeks?
Does the engine fire if you spray starter fluid into the air intakes while cranking the engine on the starter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a workshop manual yet.
The battery is about 4 months old becuase the old one just died one day. I can't think of anything happening, other than it bogging down like i said.
I have not tried to start it with starter fluid yet. I can do that today.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Won't turn over as in no crank? Or turns over (crank) , but no start. Not enough juice in the battery? In the case of a failed stator the battery voltage would fall until the engine bogs.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Won't turn over as in no crank? Or turns over (crank) , but no start. Not enough juice in the battery? In the case of a failed stator the battery voltage would fall until the engine bogs.
In my experience running my 929 with no charging system the bike pulls hard right up until the point that the voltage drops to below what the injectors need and then the engine just stops. There's a couple of minutes warning though as the tachometer stops working first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it turns over with no start.
i dont think it's a battery issue. i'm going to check the FPR tonight and if it's alright i'll check the injectors. thanks for the help, i'll post again after i do these things

·
Registered
355 Posts
In my experience running my 929 with no charging system the bike pulls hard right up until the point that the voltage drops to below what the injectors need and then the engine just stops. There's a couple of minutes warning though as the tachometer stops working first.
I've had multiple stator failures. A slight bog at the light is the first warning sign for me. Once the battery is low enough to require a push start the bike sometimes runs like crap. Once I had to keep it at 5000rpm to keep it running, but I made it home. You have no charging system, a mostly dead one might present differently.

This one is cranking so he's into something else...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had multiple stator failures. A slight bog at the light is the first warning sign for me. Once the battery is low enough to require a push start the bike sometimes runs like crap. Once I had to keep it at 5000rpm to keep it running, but I made it home. You have no charging system, a mostly dead one might present differently.

This one is cranking so he's into something else...
yea, when i try to crank it, it doesnt hesitate or slow down at all, i'm pretty sure it's a fuel problem, just trying to get some troubleshooting tips

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
yea, when i try to crank it, it doesnt hesitate or slow down at all, i'm pretty sure it's a fuel problem, just trying to get some troubleshooting tips

Starter fluid into the airbox while cranking will tell you immediately if it's a fuel or spark problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright, i just checked the FPR and there was no fuel in the vacum line. Sprayed starter fluid in the air intakes, and no start- It tried once but it was very weak (almost nothing). I tried to check the plugs but i can't get in that tight space.. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
alright, i just checked the FPR and there was no fuel in the vacum line. Sprayed starter fluid in the air intakes, and no start- It tried once but it was very weak (almost nothing). I tried to check the plugs but i can't get in that tight space.. Suggestions?
I'd pull the lid off the airbox and make sure the filter is clean and dry and then try the starter fluid again directly into the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd pull the lid off the airbox and make sure the filter is clean and dry and then try the starter fluid again directly into the throttle bodies.
I tried before I left for work this morning, still nothing. What are the chances its electical, like and ignition coil?
I have a bad feeling about it though :crap:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I tried before I left for work this morning, still nothing. What are the chances its electical, like and ignition coil?
I have a bad feeling about it though :crap:

If it doesn't fire with starter fluid directly into the throttle bodies then you have no spark.
If one coil were bad the other three would still run fine.
How old are the spark plugs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it doesn't fire with starter fluid directly into the throttle bodies then you have no spark.
If one coil were bad the other three would still run fine.
How old are the spark plugs?
the plugs are pretty old (not sure exactly).. is there a way to look at them without taking the engine out? i tried but theres just no space..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts