Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2001 Honda 929rr that is running funny and has some low compression in 1 or 2 cylinders. I'm wanting to do a rebuild on both the motor and frame but starting with the motor.

I've figured out that there isn't any sort of rebuild kit for these motors, at least I couldn't find one. So I'm having trouble finding parts for this engine. Can I just replace the rings and gaskets and send the bike back on to pavement? or should I just rebuild the entire thing while I've already got it torn apart. From my understanding it has to be torn down on the bottom end to change the rings any way so it wouldn't make much sense to not replace the bearings etc... while I'm already down in the lower part of the motor if that's the case.

Any help would be appreciated on part finding and which parts are required to get the bike back to tip top shape, I'm fully aware that rebuilding the bike is most likely counter cost intuitive but none the less it is some thing I would still like to do. It was my first motorcycle and its been a solid bike.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
I would buy a low mileage wreck and transplant the motor and keep any other good parts.

After that, you could part out the remaining excess parts. I would not favour just doing rings and gaskets on a 20-year-old bike if you want to keep it for a while.(y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would buy a low mileage wreck and transplant the motor and keep any other good parts.

After that, you could part out the remaining excess parts. I would not favour just doing rings and gaskets on a 20-year-old bike if you want to keep it for a while.(y)
I tried to find another motor, used to be some on eBay but currently there is none around, that's why I figured I'd just rebuild the one I got.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Better the devil you know. Rebuild yours. You’ll also keep original engine numbers if your a purist 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find new piston and rings for the 929. what size can I bore it to so that I can purchase a more modern piston and ring? thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts