Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I have a 2001 929rr. I'm a heavier rider and I am trying to find where I can get a stiffer spring for the rear. The stock one is rated for a 183lb rider and I weigh in at 265 without gear. I got the calculation from racetech.com

REAR SHOCK SPRING
Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate for Street: 17.13 kg/mm

But I cannot find any springs at that rate for the 929rr and I REALLY want to do my suspension right. Can somebody point me in the right direction?:idunno:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to replace the spring alone, you likely need a new shock.

Also, for street use they say the stock rear spring is correct for a 192lb rider. The one they show otherwise is for racing use.

·
Registered
737 Posts
its called air ride guy its like 1000 us dollars and worth it im goin to be installing it on my 01 929
$1000???? For that kind of money you can buy a brand new fully adjustable rear shock.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Like the title says, I have a 2001 929rr. I'm a heavier rider and I am trying to find where I can get a stiffer spring for the rear. The stock one is rated for a 183lb rider and I weigh in at 265 without gear. I got the calculation from racetech.com

REAR SHOCK SPRING

But I cannot find any springs at that rate for the 929rr and I REALLY want to do my suspension right. Can somebody point me in the right direction?:idunno:
Is the bike actually behaving in a way you aren't happy with?
I'm around 240lbs naked and race on stock suspension fairly successfully.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
its called air ride guy its like 1000 us dollars and worth it im goin to be installing it on my 01 929
How is this "worth it" exactly?
Do any race teams runs it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
im not racing with it riding on the mean streets of boston its rough. im looking for the smooth ride and the sweet look of it parked on the ground with my 6 inch stretch and stuff and now a days if your "racing" a 929 you must be riding the little bus cuz your just never gunna keep up

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
im not racing with it riding on the mean streets of boston its rough. im looking for the smooth ride and the sweet look of it parked on the ground with my 6 inch stretch and stuff and now a days if your "racing" a 929 you must be riding the little bus cuz your just never gunna keep up
So you should've qualified your statement of "it's worth it" with "if you want to just look at your bike or ride your sportsbike like a touring bike". The vast majority of riders are riding on the same streets and they aren't installing this rubbish on their sportsbikes.

If I find myself up against guys on modern bikes with more talent than I have then I agree, it gets very tough, but that's just an impetus to make me push myself even harder - and that just makes it a whole lot more fun :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

REAR SHOCK SPRING

Longfellow, Lindemans Engineering sells Eibach springs in that rate, but you will need to know the spring diameter and free length. You could also talk to Jamie Daugherty who can rebuild/revalve/reshim your stock shock to suit your weight. No doubt you will need to up the front spring rate also at the same time to around 1kg/mm and consider valve/shimming those too. You definitely don't need to chuck away what you have. Contact for Jamie

[email protected]
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Longfellow, Lindemans Engineering sells Eibach springs in that rate, but you will need to know the spring diameter and free length. You could also talk to Jamie Daugherty who can rebuild/revalve/reshim your stock shock to suit your weight. No doubt you will need to up the front spring rate also at the same time to around 1kg/mm and consider valve/shimming those too. You definitely don't need to chuck away what you have. Contact for Jamie

[email protected]
Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification
Thanks alot kpavey, that was the info I was looking for. I appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts