Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to this site. But i have a zillion questions.

1st. My bike seems like it is winding up way to fast.
I just changed the oil yesterday and used mobile 1 10w40. full synthetic.
Before i kinda noticed it aswell but this feels weird. i have 34,100 miles on it. And do not know much about history. I had a ase certified mech. listen to it and he said it sounded good in rev idle.
I cant be low on oil because i put 4 qts. of oil in it yesterday. And that is all it takes... so im confused, Dont wanna ruin my new found baby.

Let me know please..

2nd. my bike title says 1999. it says 99 on the side of it....

But the F4i was not introduced until 01.... ? kinda confused on that.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
do you know if the clutch has been replaced?? if its winding up to fast while rolling could be a slipping clutch. happened to me with my f4i. i replaced the clutch disks and springs and been great ever since. kinda sounds similar to my issues i had though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The F4i has fuel-injection where the F4 has carbs. Have you checked the gearing to see if the previous owner lowered the gearing for better acceleration. That will make the bike rev quicker over stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you use car mobil one? or motorcycle mobil one oil? if you use car oil it does not have the additives for wet clutches, and your clutches will slip.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey everyone, I am new to this site. But i have a zillion questions.

1st. My bike seems like it is winding up way to fast.
I just changed the oil yesterday and used mobile 1 10w40. full synthetic.
Before i kinda noticed it aswell but this feels weird. i have 34,100 miles on it. And do not know much about history. I had a ase certified mech. listen to it and he said it sounded good in rev idle.
I cant be low on oil because i put 4 qts. of oil in it yesterday. And that is all it takes... so im confused, Dont wanna ruin my new found baby.

Let me know please..

2nd. my bike title says 1999. it says 99 on the side of it....

But the F4i was not introduced until 01.... ? kinda confused on that.

Do you mean the clutch is slipping?
If it is, dump the oil and replace it with a good semi-synthetic motorcycle oil.
You have an F4.

·
Registered
72 Posts
auto (car) mobile 1 will f-up the cluch plates and reck them. now its too late and needs the friction plates replaced now. never use auto oil in a bike. bike oil has other stuff in it for the gears and clutch

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
auto (car) mobile 1 will f-up the cluch plates and reck them. now its too late and needs the friction plates replaced now. never use auto oil in a bike. bike oil has other stuff in it for the gears and clutch

In my experience it doesn't do any permanent harm at all.
Drain and replace the filter and the oil with a good semi-synth motorcycle oil and it should be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
back in the day a friend and i did a oil change on our bikes with moble 1 motor oil and shortly the clutch started to slip. we both change the oil out. the clutch both worked better but we both had to change out the friction plates in our bikes.. i had a 85 650 night halk and he hade a 97 gsxr 750.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
back in the day a friend and i did a oil change on our bikes with moble 1 motor oil and shortly the clutch started to slip. we both change the oil out. the clutch both worked better but we both had to change out the friction plates in our bikes.. i had a 85 650 night halk and he hade a 97 gsxr 750.

The only instances I've seen of it the bikes wouldn't move at all so the oil wasn't in the engine for long.
I would replace the oil and filter first, if it's still a problem then do the fibres.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put motorcycle mobile 1 in it. My bike is fuel injected not a carburetor. So must be an 01? I think the sprockets are changed from stock.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I put motorcycle mobile 1 in it. My bike is fuel injected not a carburetor. So must be an 01? I think the sprockets are changed from stock.

Yes, but even motorcycle full-synthetics can cause clutch slip.
If the VIN is '99 then the bike is '99 and an F4.
Possibly it's had the injection and electrics ported across from an F4i though.
How do you know it's injected?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Pulled the side cowling off. It doesn't even have a f4 body style. Its all f4i

Does it have the choke lever on the left switch cluster?
It's all F4i except for the frame and title?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No choke switch. Yea title say 99 aswell as frame. But I'm trying to buy new fairings off internet. And have no clue what year to buy haha.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
No choke switch. Yea title say 99 aswell as frame. But I'm trying to buy new fairings off internet. And have no clue what year to buy haha.
could be converted to fuel injection maybe. f4i fairing should bolt up on the f4 i believe. i could be wrong but im pretty sure they will bolt up. motofairings.com has good fairings. you should check them out.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
could be converted to fuel injection maybe. f4i fairing should bolt up on the f4 i believe. i could be wrong but im pretty sure they will bolt up. motofairings.com has good fairings. you should check them out.

I would think it's more likely that it was originally an F4i that has had the frame replaced with an F4 frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blade and fury. Both have better points then I. But what's the difference? Cost more to convert? Cost more to convertor switch frame? Either way it is now an f4i. What fairings with match an f4 frame? 01 f4i? Any others?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Blade and fury. Both have better points then I. But what's the difference? Cost more to convert? Cost more to convertor switch frame? Either way it is now an f4i. What fairings with match an f4 frame? 01 f4i? Any others?
Is the headlight and upper fairing F4 or F4i?
I'd be finding out why the frame was replaced before I spend any money on the bike, it might be stolen.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
well if it is an f4 converted to f4i you should be able to use 01,02,03 f4i fairings on it. 04-06 have a single seat so not sure if the tail fairing would be a direct bolt-up or not. hope this helps you out. def listen to blade though and check out what all has been done and why.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts