Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to attempt the install on my bike (erion) and was wondering if any of you geniuses out there had any experience. I'm fairly sure the 929 needs the motor dropped a couple inches to gain access as the frame/engine mounts are not removable as they are on f4i models. Any successes or failures, or furthermore greater instruction would be hardcore appreciated.
Thanks in advance and ride safe!
-Paul

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Did this on my F4i before, and it was a be-atch. I don't think I've ever sworn so much, or wished that I had small Asian girl hands :rotfl: For such a simple piece, getting to it and replacing was a nightmare.

Make sure you have a magnetic tool from which to fish out dropped bolts would be my advice :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm about to attempt the install on my bike (erion) and was wondering if any of you geniuses out there had any experience. I'm fairly sure the 929 needs the motor dropped a couple inches to gain access as the frame/engine mounts are not removable as they are on f4i models. Any successes or failures, or furthermore greater instruction would be hardcore appreciated.
Thanks in advance and ride safe!
-Paul

You don't need to drop the engine.
The bottom bolt is easily reached with a ring spanner through the side below the frame spar.
Use 1/4"-drive sockets and swivel or flexible extensions for the top bolt.
Wind the tensioner out first. Then you only need crack the bolts and you can unscrew them easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blade racer- thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend probably. I thought i was going to have to drop the engine when I looked but it does seem like everyone is saying its not needed. Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you get it changed and if so, how? Any pieces of advice? I consider myself mechanically inclined and have changed one on an F4i before with no problems. On this thing though....it seems next to impossible. I don't have a problem with the bottom bolt; it's the freaking top one that's driving me nuts. I can't even get a 1/4" drive socket to fit into the space! Tried it all...universal joint, etc. They should have used allen head bolts instead of hex head IMO.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I used a flexible screwdriver extension on mine - ujoints don't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You got a pic of one of those? Either way you're gonna have to connect an 8mm socket to the end of whatever you use, right? In my case, it seems the diameter of the outer wall of the socket is too big to fit between the bolt and the frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I managed to get it off with a buddy of mine. We took of the tank, the intake the gas lines and moved a wiring harness to get a better angle. Ultimately, the one bolt that is near the frame we ended up using an off set 8mm wrench to get at. It was like 1/8 inch movements until we got it loose enough. The back bolt wasn't any more difficult and to tighten up the CCT itselt we used a 1/2 inch ratchet with like a foot long extension and just tightened it from the outside of the bike. That was also a pain in the ass.
-I sold this bike a month ago but I figured someone else could use the info because it was a pita for me. Also, I bought a screwdriver extension like people were saying but it wasn't capable of producing enough torque to remove any of the 8mm bolts. I brought it back. Between the offset wrench and a standard we were able to alternate between them to get the bolt off. GOOD LUCK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts