Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys,

Im new to the CBR gang, I bought my 929 a few months ago and noticed the rear light is saying im always braking. This isnt that big of a deal until I take it out on night rides.
The original owner used this bike as a track bike and had all lights disconnected(just unhooked). I took the rear pedal assembly off of the bike and adjusted the brake sensor to no avail. Attached is a photo(i loosened it all the way and it still didnt turn off). I am worried that the odd angle it has broke a wire. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unplug it and see if the light goes off, if not do the same with the front too. If it’s still on check if the bulb is in correctly, might be that instead of the tail light that the brake light is on and the brake switch is putting on the less bright tail light part of the bulb
Good ideas! I unplugged the rear brake line and it stayed bright. I ordered a new one just in case. I'll unplug the front and try the lights this afternoon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the front sensor, it's not bound up. I moved the front brake lever off of it and the light stayed on. It rained so I wasn't able to disconnect the cable. One of my electrical friends said it could be grounding out. So those are the next 2 tests. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the brake bulbs themselves. Someone may have jammed a "similar" looking bulb in there, which may not have the right terminal configuration, resulting in both filaments shorting together and being in the full bright brake illumination all the time. Manual says 12V 21/5w bulbs x 2, which are also known as 7528 bulbs. Someone could have crammed an 1157 or something "close" in there, causing the problem. I see this happen in brake lights in cars I work on all the time, customer buy the wrong bulbs and jam them into the sockets. I've chased down bad wiring and switches before, even after changing the bulbs, only to find the customer had put the wrong bulbs in there in the first place. Only by consulting online manuals or the car owner's manual, was I able to figure out why the brakes weren't illuminating right.
I might have found the issue. Was picking through wire diagrams while on my break.
attached shows the wiring diagram and the configuration it looks like my brake light wires are in

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, the positioning of the wires in the actual plugs is irrelevant to the diagram. That's not your problem. The diagrams are just showing how the bulbs work. The ground of the bulb/socket, is the outside of the bulb/socket casing, and the Green wire is relevant to that "side" of the plug. The Brown/White is 12V Accessory power (Key On), and the Green/Yellow is the 12V from either brake switches being enabled. Pull the bulbs and see if they are the right ones, or aftermarket LEDs, etc. Also, where are your rear turn signals, they aren't plugged in? What's going on in the undertail? I see a yellow string, and an extra nut/bolt in that pic.
Some good info, Ill test and reply

This bike was a pure track bike and the original owner disconnected all of the wiring systems. He also cut the tail lights and mirrors off. I got the bike at ~7,500 miles (for an unbelievable deal). It looks like he tried reconnecting some lights prior to sale. I installed aftermarket front turn signals yesterday and trouble shot that for hours and got it to work(fubar). I ordered a new tail light with integrated turn signals and that should arrive the 24th. I'm attempting to root cause the brake light since its really dangerous on the road.

The lock appears to have been cut off (to save weight?) and the hatch zip tied. I changed the zip tie to a paracord so I can have access to the wiring systems. Ill have to figure out how to reinstall an aftermarket system since they discontinued the OEM lock/latch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HI Guys,

I just wanted to say thank you for all of this help!

Just to jot down what I did for the next person with the same questions... For the front turn signals I cleaned all of the wires up, and checked for shorts along the way. I replaced all of the fuses in the fuse box after cleaning the terminals. I will attach the wire diagram I referenced as well as the how to wire the turn signals I used. If you dont use

the diodes listed in the photo it will just show your turn signal on your dash, the diodes will remove that until they are activated. For the rear brake light never shutting off. I took the rear foot brake assembly off and cleaned everythign up. I attempted adjusting the sensor to read correctly. This didnt work but is the best thing to check first. I disconnected this sensor and the light stayed on, which means thats not the root cause. I disconnected the front sensor and the light stayed on. I removed both bulbs and cleaned the terminals, once reinstalled the brake light turned off and would work again.

I will be installing a fireblade rear light fixture with included turn signals from ebay.

thanks again guys!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts