Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CBR929RR, 1993 VFR750F, 2000 Mille R
54 Posts
Checked the front sensor, it's not bound up. I moved the front brake lever off of it and the light stayed on. It rained so I wasn't able to disconnect the cable. One of my electrical friends said it could be grounding out. So those are the next 2 tests. Any other recommendations?
Check the brake bulbs themselves. Someone may have jammed a "similar" looking bulb in there, which may not have the right terminal configuration, resulting in both filaments shorting together and being in the full bright brake illumination all the time. Manual says 12V 21/5w bulbs x 2, which are also known as 7528 bulbs. Someone could have crammed an 1157 or something "close" in there, causing the problem. I see this happen in brake lights in cars I work on all the time, customer buy the wrong bulbs and jam them into the sockets. I've chased down bad wiring and switches before, even after changing the bulbs, only to find the customer had put the wrong bulbs in there in the first place. Only by consulting online manuals or the car owner's manual, was I able to figure out why the brakes weren't illuminating right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I might have found the issue. Was picking through wire diagrams while on my break.
attached shows the wiring diagram and the configuration it looks like my brake light wires are in
Here is a pic from my factory Honda Service manual:

Schematic Font Parallel Engineering Technical drawing

Check that you are getting ground on the green wire, and see if you can find the ground point on the left side of the picture with the 5 wires on the same ground point. Check for continuity from that ground point back to the bulb sockets.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is a pic from my factory Honda Service manual:

View attachment 110727

Check that you are getting ground on the green wire, and see if you can find the ground point on the left side of the picture with the 5 wires on the same ground point. Check for continuity from that ground point back to the bulb sockets.
Also, the positioning of the wires in the actual plugs is irrelevant to the diagram. That's not your problem. The diagrams are just showing how the bulbs work. The ground of the bulb/socket, is the outside of the bulb/socket casing, and the Green wire is relevant to that "side" of the plug. The Brown/White is 12V Accessory power (Key On), and the Green/Yellow is the 12V from either brake switches being enabled. Pull the bulbs and see if they are the right ones, or aftermarket LEDs, etc. Also, where are your rear turn signals, they aren't plugged in? What's going on in the undertail? I see a yellow string, and an extra nut/bolt in that pic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts