Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month I’ve been building my 01 929 from the frame up, mostly stock other than a Power Commander 3 and Slip on exhaust. All is good except, when starting in the morning or anytime it’s sitting for more than an hour it’s very difficult, though once started runs smooth. It takes priming the fuel pump more than 15 times just to get started, then it’s a continuous problem getting it to idle until warmed up.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Hi , welcome to the forum, are you saying the pump doesn't prime when the ignition is turned on and the sweep is taking place , or the pump kicks in sporadically during the first 15 mins ;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would guess it’s either to rich (you’ll smell gas in the exhaust) or too lean. Starting is 0% throttle and <1500rpm so you could try fiddling with the fuel map in the Power Commander and see. Just small changes and keep a record of what you do, or save the map each time under a different file name so that you can roll back the changes if needs be

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi , welcome to the forum, are you saying the pump doesn't prime when the ignition is turned on and the sweep is taking place , or the pump kicks in sporadically during the first 15 mins ;)
The pump comes on when I turn the bike on, when I try to start it the bike will barely start then I have to continue turning the switch off and on till it will finally get a slight idle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would guess there is a "wax unit" that enriches the mixture and/or slightly opens the butterflies on a cold start? Give that a look.
Yes it has a wax unit coming off the throttle body. I went to start the bike yesterday and I can’t get it to idle now at all. Adjusting the wax unit it cranks then dies immediately

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Did you move/undo the white painted nuts on the the wax unit assembly, move the Starter valves , adjusted the idle screw/knob?

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Dont know which way you are screwing it , so screw it in and try starting every couple of screws , do you have the Workshop Manual for the Bike, when it got warm and was idling ok ,what was the RPM,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont know which way you are screwing it , so screw it in and try starting every couple of screws , do you have the Workshop Manual for the Bike, when it got warm and was idling ok ,what was the RPM,
I turned it right towards the rear of the bike. I will start back on it today and give you an update. No I don’t have a manual and it was idling at about 1300rpm

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Right so the RPM would have been in the ballpark, and an ideal starting position if you can remember how many turns you turned it out , just screw it back in to the same position ;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
if you've not got a workshop manual there is the Honda one you can find free to download as a big PDF. it would be very worthwhile you doing this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, I’m going to download the manual today and see what I can figure out. Is there any test I can do to check the FPR and Fuel pump pressure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The pump comes on when I turn the bike on, when I try to start it the bike will barely start then I have to continue turning the switch off and on till it will finally get a slight idle
Had same problem on my 2000 929. I found it was simply the engine mapping. Remapped engine and boom problem went straight away.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts