Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would guess it’s either to rich (you’ll smell gas in the exhaust) or too lean. Starting is 0% throttle and <1500rpm so you could try fiddling with the fuel map in the Power Commander and see. Just small changes and keep a record of what you do, or save the map each time under a different file name so that you can roll back the changes if needs be
I noticed that you sent this quoted response a couple of years ago to a fellow who had a problem similar to my CBR954RR. Difficult to start but once started and warmed up it starts immediately upon cranking at 0% throttle. Checked the fuel regulator and it didn't have a ruptured diaphragm. Manifold pressure was in spec at 200 mm Hg. Put in a new fuel pump that operates when ignition is turned on. I believe the wax units are functioning properly because when it starts it runs around 2,000 rpm and when it begins to warm up the idle gradually reduces to a steady 1,200 rpm.
So my bike also had a power commander III installed prior to my purchase. It had the stock map by name but it may have been adjusted somewhere in the map. Anyway, I mapped it to accommodate my present set up of stock intake and 1/2 Yoshimura exhaust. Was hoping it would change starting but it didn't. This makes sense because when I compared it's map with the stock map there are all zeros in the throttle position of 0% so the new mapping wasn't likely to help with starting as originally mapped.
What I understand you are saying is that I should try increasing or decreasing, from the values of 0, for throttle position of 0% and map RPMs of 750, 1,000 and 1,500.
When I first fired up the bike, after setting for several years, I utilized starting fluid. Then quit with the fluid and held the throttle position to about 25 to 40 % and it fired. I've added fuel stabilizer, Techron fuel system cleaner and have ridden the bike 60 mph in third gear to get the RPMs up to the 5,000+ range hoping it may clean up problems in the fuel system but so far, no changes in starting.
As a result, my present thinking is I need to initially try adjusting the three RPM ranges in the positive direction first to add richness for starting.
Sorry this is so long but in order to seek advice I think it is important to provide as much info as possible.
Curious to hear your thoughts on my plan to play with the mapping.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
POWER COMMANDER III: ADJUSTING THE BUTTONS ON THE FACEPLATE
Follow

Matt
May 05, 2018 17:49
To adjust the buttons on the faceplate of your Power Commander III, follow the instructions below:
  • With the ignition off, hold down all three buttons on the Power Commander III unit.
  • While still holding down the buttons, turn on the ignition and start the bike.
  • Release buttons. The light(s) should show up in the last place they were left, by default the center two lights.
  • Select the range you wish to adjust: Low, Med, High by pushing the corresponding button once, (these ranges are determined by taking the bikes RPM limit and then dividing it into thirds).
  • At this point holding that button down will move the lights down (leaning out the mixture).
  • Pushing the button repeatedly will move the light up (richening the mixture).
  • When the two center lights are lit up this is the “0” setting.
  • After making your adjustments wait 20 seconds before turning it off. This allows the settings to be saved to memory.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
that might help, however I missed the bit in your post about it being stood for some years - it might be worth having the injectors cleaned professionally, i,e, not with fuel additives but take them out and send them to some place that know how to get the n clean!.

·
Registered
35 Posts
that might help, however I missed the bit in your post about it being stood for some years - it might be worth having the injectors cleaned professionally, i,e, not with fuel additives but take them out and send them to some place that know how to get the n clean!.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I've watched a video on how to take the injectors out and clean them via a cleaning kit.

I have a laptop computer connected to the PCIII in the bike so it's real simple to change the numbers.
Today I was playing with the numbers trying to start the bike with no luck at first but then with 6s in 500, 1,000 and 1,500 it fired up. Thing is, I don't know if it was due to the changes I made to the PCIII or the fact I was repeatedly attempting to start the bike.
One encouraging pattern break is that in the past if I got it to start, turned it off right away and tried to start it again it wouldn't start. It would re-start quickly if the bike warmed up but not if it were cold.
Today, after it started cold with the three six settings, I turned off the bike right away and it started right up. Cycled it several times and started fine so I may be onto something here.
I'll let it cool down a couple of hours and give it a try. If it fires up with little effort this may be a solution to the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
this is my lower end - 0% throttle setting - BUT I have 954 injectors

View attachment 110208
Okay, I may be overdoing it with 6's. It has been about 2 1/2 hours since running and the bike engine/ exhaust was cold. Started up first try and cycled it a couple of times. All starting attempts were sucessful.
The real test will be tomorrow morning when it has set overnight with 34 deg.f temps.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I do think it needs to get some heat in the motor between cold starts to ensure there is no unburnt fuel in the combustion chambers. If you have access to an exhaust gas analyser it might help but cold starts a funny think if you changed anything from standard!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do think it needs to get some heat in the motor between cold starts to ensure there is no unburnt fuel in the combustion chambers. If you have access to an exhaust gas analyser it might help but cold starts a funny think if you changed anything from standard!

Yoshimura 960-1253 Exhaust Street Rnd Bolt-On Ss-Al
This is the muffler on the bike hence I chose the tune for the PCIII of "half Yoshimura". Of course, PCIII may have been programmed with the racing Yoshimura muffler. Once running I haven't noticed anything odd while riding the bike. No backfires, hesitant throttle response etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Matt -
The bike started right up this morning and throughout the day with several test starts.

I really appreciate your help regarding the PCIII. You pointed me in the right direction where I found the solution to my starting problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: After working on the bike removing the PClll usb, and going through everything I could, still not running. Took the airbox off to check the injectors and it fired up, turned the bike off and went to crank it back up and nothing. Now they will spray some the just stop turn the bike off and move the tank they will spray a little then stop. FPR is working. Fuel pump is coming on. I’m getting spark so at this point I’m lost.
Dude....if u want us to help you you GOTTA proof your post before you hit send, so that it makes sense to the reader!......PUNCUATION SAVES LIVES!!....
"LETS EAT GRANDMA!"

21 - 38 of 38 Posts